• 02-14-2004, 08:41 PM
    Dave E.
    3 Attachment(s)
    Images from Kodak Photo CD
    Dug through some of my images and found these taken several years ago. Originally film, but scanned by Kodak (Photo CD).

-Dave-
  • 02-15-2004, 04:46 AM
    Charles Hess
    Hi Dave... all are colorful, and I like the angled compositions that give some "edge" to each image. I'd like to see more of a motion effect in them, as image #2 with the person and car ... it does show some motion, but appears that the racer is not moving very fast. Exposure is excellent. :-)
  • 02-16-2004, 09:41 AM
    stew
    agree
    with Charles. i like the second image the best, as you captured the entire car and got a little bit of motion effect. i'm not personally a big fan of angled shots, but i think it works here.

the exposure is very good - was the exposure manually set, or automatically by the camera? this is one of the aspects of photos i'm wrestling with thye most. i think i understand the basic concepts but getting the right mix can be hard for me in manual mode (i've gotta sign up for some sort of class...) so my hat's off to you!
  • 02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
    Dave E.
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks Charles and Stew
    It is quite the balancing act to use a shutter speed that is just fast enough to freeze the action and not so fast that the car appears as if it is parked. I try to shoot around 1/250. I got the idea to angle the frame from racing magazines. These cars are very long and only about three feet high.

Stew,

The photo's were taken several years ago, but I tend to use the manual exposure setting, even on my Canon digital camera.

How's this one (scanned print on a flatbed scanner):

-Dave-
  • 02-16-2004, 02:57 PM
    stew
    like this one best
    not as much angle (good imho), good motion effect, nice colors. i like the fact that the car's not all there because i think it gives more dramatic punctuation to the speed it was going, like it was a struggle to capture it (in a good way). like the grittiness of it too, but i suspect that a good deal of that was the scan? or am i wrong (ie, high iso)? the grittiness reminds me of some recent racing shots i've seen that i really liked. thanks!