Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Teenage Model

GB1

Teenage Model

From a photo shoot last weekend. Very nice beginning model, taken at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) campus. Very contemporary location for a model shoot.

Comments appreciated,

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teenage Model-dsc_4293_edit1_post_800.jpg   Teenage Model-dsc_4449_edit1_800.jpg   Teenage Model-dsc_4289_edit1_post_800.jpg   Teenage Model-dsc_4226_edit1_post_800.jpg   Teenage Model-dsc_4216_edit1_800.jpg  

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Teenage Model

#1 she is stunning, I do not like the path cutting her in half
    #2 is grab shot with the on camera flash ?
    #3 what happen to the colors of #1? the anlgg of the face is different and doesn't look as good as #1
    I like #4 , nice pose, relaxed, and nice reflection
    #5 I'll probably crop it closer, above her knees and eliminate the left side with the bight sky

#1 I don't like her eyes being all black behind her glasses
    #3 Is much better plus she has a more raunchy look, slight smile. My favourite
    #2 Great location. I would have put her up against the wall with the graffiti and asked her to do some poses, flash straight on. You should have taken out the red eye
    #4 Is okay I suppose but I would have smoothed out her lower eyelid
    #5 I don't like her straight leg. I would have asked her to bend her legs to make her pose more dynamic and tense, turned her around. I would also have cropped it much tighter. We're trying to sell her transparent blouse here, her shoes and stuff don't matter
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Just Me

The photos are alright but the model is absolutely not. She doesn't have good presence that captivates the viewer nor a model's figure, she is rather boring. Cruel?, well, sooner or later someone will tell her not to waste her time.
    Last edited by geraldb; 06-29-2012 at 05:04 PM.

#1 and #3 good use some interesting surroundings, #2 the lighting looks bad. #4 her elbow is cut off and it seems busy and the last one has something blurry in the foreground.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Thanks for your comments.

I keep saying I'm going to get my own portable strobe system. This was one place where I could have used it (maybe it'll force me to make a move on getting the strobe). See below:

Armando, thanks for your inputs. I lean towards #1 myself, as she has a nice neutral look when she tries. Interesting note on the path! I didn't even notice that but sometimes I know there something's wrong, just can't pinpoint it (hence why I like posting at PR). Grab shot on #2? I'm outraged!! Actually is it, though the reason is that the wireless trigger to the strobe stopped working (prob a dead battery) forcing me to use on-board flash. Better than nothing, I think. You can't guess on #3? It's a hot flash that wiped out the details: turns out you can adjust the density to normal but the overexposure apparently kills the detail for good. #4 I like too, but I wish I had brought a window washing kit with me. I don't know what to do with #5. I want to keep her body parts there but agree that it's paradoxical as is, good composition vs. the distractions.

Charles, I see your pt on #1's eyes, but do you think it's fatal? I think her eyes are partially closed. Agree that she looks a bit more mischievous in 3, perhaps more like a 17 year old should. I also like that location, and I do have a few more shots of her in that room, though as I mentioned to Armando, my flash situation sort of diminishes the value of the shots. Thanks on the eyelid suggestion for #4. #5 is a bit of a strange pose, I also think, and her leg does seem a little unnatural. I think the issue is also that her outfit doesn't come together well.

Geraldb, Well, thanks for chiming in.. interesting comment too. She's certainly a petite model, and I think she needs a little more muscle and athleticism, but I do think she brings a lot to the table, with a hip, relaxing style of posing, and some calm personality (and somewhat retro presence). Subjectivity is part of this sort of thing though...

Greg, I was wondering if clipping her elbow here hurt the image -- I guess it certainly doesn't help! Here's another, similar shot. And yeah, that blurry thing is bad.. it's an out of focus brown branch or stem shooting up in my frame. I had to shoot fast before she moved and didn't have time to step on the thing to get it out of the way (don't think UCSD would like me doing that, either). A PP job in the waiting.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teenage Model-dsc_4228_edit1_post_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I would cut #5 just below her knee and also cut out the distracting bright blob on the left hand side. That will give you a picture with less elements and bring out the reflection of her leg at right, help to dynamise the pose.

I work a lot with beginner models and this one is fine. She's already learnt how to pose. What I would say to her next time:

- Do all the stuff that girls do to be girls and get boys interested. It works also for the camera.
    - Go further. Exagerate. Play. It's only a picture, not real life.
    Charles

Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I work a lot with beginner models and this one is fine.
    I'm glad you said it, I think when a teenager starting a "short lived modelling career", she should be at least "wow, she's great" and descend to "fine" in her 30s, but If she starts at "fine" where else would she go?. Most models are judged by first few looks, she either have it or not.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by geraldb View Post
    I'm glad you said it, I think when a teenager starting a "short lived modelling career", she should be at least "wow, she's great" and descend to "fine" in her 30s, but If she starts at "fine" where else would she go?. Most models are judged by first few looks, she either have it or not.
    Regards
    We are not talking about a top-fashion-model-Vogue-cover here. If this girl is really small then she won't pass the 1m67 minimum height barrier for fashion models. I've been to several Elite Model Look model search castings in local shopping centers - if the girl is too short then she doesn't even get to parade.

We are talking about someone who could probably make some extra revenue from modelling for a while and have some fun.

I just made a count of my Facebook friends. I keep track of 35 models. Only 3 of them are full time fashion models, 3 are full-time body/lingerie models (too short for fashion) and the others have a regular job as well - with no illusions about being able to do it full time.

Where I live (Paris) there are lots of opportunities for all sorts of models - young, old, pretty, ugly, tatooed, bald.. It's a local industry.
    Charles

Just Me

I don't disagree with you. But does she know that? because what is in your head is not necessarily in hers. Has she been told that she is not good enough for top fashion model?, because girls have wishes and dreams.

"Where I live (Paris) there are lots of opportunities for all sorts of models - young, old, pretty, ugly, tatooed, bald.. It's a local industry". You are absolutely right but every one you just mentioned has to fit right in her category in order to get a job, Not every tatooed, not every ugly, and not every pretty, right?
    Why would a teen get a job as a waitress and another as a model?, because one of them believes she got it.
    What I am saying is that from looking at these shots, this girl doesn't fit in her category, or what she is trying to do.
    You can be a judge of the issue as you like from a photographer's side of view and I'm making mine as a consumer. And with all the respect to what you say, you cannot tell me what or what will not work for me "as a consumer" when it comes to what I see in catalogs and magazines. Actually, professionals like yourself should take in consideration consumers opinion.
    A model should be convincing in selling a product, if I don't buy it, then you and your model choice failed.
    Last edited by geraldb; 07-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.

The fashion shootings are in "collaboration" i.e. we don't get paid. It's just for fun, to practice, make a buzz on Internet, get some more photos for people's books and have our images on flyers and posters around the city. (I'm a humble amateur by the way)

The professionals know the business and the amateurs know they have lots to learn. I've never seen anyone come in starry-eyed imagining they were going to step into a modelling career. It may be because the organiser (owner of the clothes shop around which it all turns) has been in the business for a long time and he has a critical eye, especially for the models.

You're completely right about selling the product. I tell the newcomers it's the garment that counts. I do very simple stuff compared with what the professionals are doing next to me.

There are some examples in my book

Charles Tompkins - Paris (75)
    Charles

I also photographed several times near the university. I love this atmosphere. But because of study, sometimes there is no time for hobbies, which is why I have to use edusson.com - this is a coursework writing service where I order all my essays and other tasks, and thanks to this I save a lot of time for my hobbies and interests.

I also photographed several times near the university. I love this atmosphere. But because of study, sometimes there is no time for hobbies, which is why I have to use Cheapestessay.com - this is a coursework writing service where I order all my essays and other tasks, and thanks to this I save a lot of time for my hobbies and interests.

Nice shots, may be the result would be better with another outfit. I would like to shoot a model girl around 18-21 y.o., but I think I will sign a contract with Barbizone or a similar agency (currently learning barbizon school reviews to find out all the details).

Very nice shots. Continue to celebrate the photography

Thread Information