• 07-16-2009, 10:19 AM
    customminds
    Houston Skyline Panorama - 525 megapixels
    http://www.customminds.com/houston

This is my first post, I hope I didn't post this to the wrong forum.

it is my first attempt of a night panorama of houston. you can zoom in, pan around and such.

let me know your thoughts!

Michael
  • 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM
    Frog
    Re: Houston Skyline Panorama - 525 megapixels
    Hello and WELCOME Michael1
    I did move your post to photo critique as you are asking for thoughts on it.

The project forum is mostly for group projects and/or challenges.
    Keep coming back and check out all the forums. Everyone here is interested in photography and becoming better and we range from beginners to long time pros.
    I'll come back later to critique.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM
    mtbbrian
    Welcome Michael.
    Why don't you post the actual photograph instead.
    You can post it via html from your site or you can upload it to the site.
    Brian
  • 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
    Greg McCary
    I like the idea but think the buildings are to far away. Also you can try using the skewing tools is PS to level the horizon on the ends.
  • 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM
    SmartWombat
    As well as straightening it (the buildings aren't vertical) there are some jarring edge artefacts around the bridge in the foreground where the light trails don't match up.
    Something to watch when using long exposure.
  • 07-16-2009, 07:12 PM
    customminds
    First off, thank you all for your feedback!!

Frog - Thank you. I didn't want to cause a disturbance.

mtbbrian - not quite sure how to do that. the original tiff was 2gb, and the size of it is beyond jpg capacity. :-(

Greg - Yes, the building are a bit in the distance. once you zoom in a bit it gets better. i am thinking all i need is just the middle of this photo. what do you think?

smart - i do agree. i think it was photoshops auto correct that made it askew. trying to figure out how to fix that for next time. :-(

Thank you all again!!
  • 07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
    Frog
    My problem is that it is either too small but when I zoom in, I can't see the whole thing.
    That's a problem with viewing all panos on a computer screen though.
    It looks pretty impressive to me but I'd listen to Greg and Paul who have more experience than I.
    Oh! And you caused no disturbance. Until you find your way around in here it isn't unusual for someone new to post in the wrong forum. Sometimes people that aren't so new do it too. Its no biggy to move a post to the correct forum.
  • 07-17-2009, 07:42 AM
    mtbbrian
    Don't take my comments too personnally.
    I realize your pic was BIG, but considering your first and what appeared to be an attempt to get traffic to your site, I think you can understand where I was coming from.
    I hope to see more of your photography!
    Make sure you check out the other forums and comment on others photography too.
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
  • 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
    customminds
    First off, I didn't want to bother the forum with another topic, so I'll just add on to this one.
    http://www.customminds.com/houston/easter
    new link (i made a 'where's waldo' game out of it late last night)
    There are 9 hidden eggs

Frog - Yea sorry about that. It seems that the program I compiled it in didn't allow for a 100% crop, but rather an exact pixel height and width. I am searching for another program now so when i do the daytime shot it comes out okay.

Mtbbrian - O I C now. I didn't realize you were the moderator. (duh moment as I look at your avatar title) . I will definitely contribute to the site, have no fear.
  • 07-17-2009, 02:24 PM
    customminds
    ps... mtbbrian
    i see a lot of good Utah and Maine pics on your personal site.
    But I also see the link in Taiwanese. have you been?
  • 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by customminds
    ps... mtbbrian
    i see a lot of good Utah and Maine pics on your personal site.
    But I also see the link in Taiwanese. have you been?

If you look at that particular link, you'll see that the characters next to my name call me a "Holga Master". I never knew of the site of or who made that particular post, until I started getting hits to my site from it a couple of years ago.
    And if anyone wants to think of me as a master Holga photographer, more power to them...
    :D :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
    You have some good wedding shots on your site.
    I have never been to Taiwan, and I'd love to got back to Maine!
    Brian
  • 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM
    Trevor Ash
    I think this is a great pano! Ignoring any "technical" flaws for the moment, I think it's exiting and I definitely enjoyed viewing it and interacting with it.

The only real piece of feedback to have that I didn't notice anyone else say is that it looks like your platform may have been a little off level. I say this based on how the horizon curves up and down. It might also be what makes that tall building on the left look crooked like someone else mentioned.

Still, I think it's fantastic and I'm glad you took the time to share.
  • 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM
    customminds
    mtbbrian - i see now. Taiwan is supposed to be nice. I lived in Japan for a year a flew around the area, but never made it there. You should take a vacation! ;-) i can also put you in contact with a few translators if you need to convert Taiwanese and post on their site.

trevor ash - i agree with the level. i think it was because I used adobe photoshop. i might try another program next time. and thank you.
  • 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
    GB1
    It's technically sound, but content wise, I agree that the buildings are too far away and I think it would be more effective as a creative photograph if the highways wasn't so centered, as that subject is more prone to solicit groans since commuters waste so much time on them. :) Perhaps a very early Sunday morning shot with very few cars may work better? Something about getting up early when everyone else is asleep .. Might work.

Anyway -- welcome to the PR forums. Make sure you visit the Post Processing forum too ! :D

G
  • 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
    customminds
    Thanks GB1. i think a christmas photo might be in store for you. (no cars on the road)
  • 07-22-2009, 07:56 PM
    EverlastingImpressions
    Beautiful panoramic photograph! The main buildings in the back look almost dreamlike, when the photo is all the way out. Great shot.
  • 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM
    customminds
    Thanks EverLastingImpressions! always good to hear positive feedback!