Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    open faced club sand wedge

first critique please

please go easy on me, this is the 3rd photo ive ever taken with a DSLR. I am as new as they get.

thanks!

NIKON

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: first critique please

Hi, Caleb!
    This looks like an interesting place. Is it one of the old Florida forts?
    One thing to think of is that it is usually better to do do your shooting in the early morning or late evening when the light and color are softer. Here you have shot in bright full sun and everything looks rather flat.
    You've also included a great deal in your photo with the trees, the fort, the flat area to the right, and yet, I don't know what to look at. Something in a photo needs to grab the viewers eye either by composition, or focus, or a combination thereof.
    Keep shooting and try to put some drama into your shots. From what I can see, that corner of the wall looks quite interesting.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

thanks frog, yes it is the fort at st augustine FL, the oldest city in the US. Lots to look at but I got very overwhelmed trying to pick something to shoot and only ended up shooting 28 pics today and I didnt like any of them, very frustrating and a waste of a day.
    NIKON

It wasn't a waste of a day. You learned what you don't like, right? Because of that, next time you'll attempt something differerent.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

My criticism, and one to myself also (as I fumble through landscape shots too)

Watch the proportion of sky to land. If you have an interesting sky, you can include a lot of it. If not, best to make the shot mostly ground. For a landscape that might mean standing on something and shooting at a downward angle.

Of course, that's only in most cases, not all.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Welcome to the forum! First, what you got right - Exposure is good and it's in focus, 2/3rds of the battle won

Composition is difficult for nearly everyone, but there are a few things to keep in mind when searching for a shot. Try to include just enough to tell a story without including too much unimportant stuff (and ALWAYS remember to only try to tell one story at a time!) When you're shooting, walk around your intended subject for a while and explore all the possible angles (Yesterday I took 28 shots of a bee on a flower to get 3 or 4 I liked). I see several really nice shots contained within the one you posted if you were a little closer, a little more to the left, crouched down looking up at the wall/turret, etc... and if I recall correctly, they have huge floodlights that illuminate those walls once sunset rolls around, which also makes for cool shots if you're able to stick around that long. The idea is that you don't really need to show 400' of wall for others to understand it's a fort - show 30' and the turret and people will understand immediately. That crooked tree in the foreground has tons of potential too, but not in a shot where it is competing for attention with the fort (use depth of field to make the fort less important).

+1 to what Jetrim said. Composition is something a lot of people suffer with.

I won't add a lot more to what everyone else has said. BUT, I will say this. Have a look at the gallery of photo, whether it be landscape, macro, whatever and see what you like in them. Then try and incorporate those things you like in their photo's, into your photo's.

Keep shooting!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

thanks guys! Like I said im new to all this and wanting to soak up as much as I can. I am going to try and go back to the fort next week and do it again in the mean time I will keep shooting around here.

thanks for all the wisom, I read every word.

caleb
    NIKON

Thread Information