Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself "Suzie Q"

They say that 90% percent of life is just showing up, I think in photography it is the same.

Without typing for 2 hours, I'll give you all the quick version of the story behind these 4 pictures.

I'm in a Photo Journalism class at our local community college. Three weeks ago we had our first picture due: a portrait of a stranger. It was a Tuesday, and I was content in knowing that our project was due the next week, and not in 6 hours. That was before I ran into someone in my class and was informed of the horrendous thought that i only had 6 hours to shoot a roll of film, process the film, and then PRINT the film in the darkroom.

With little time, I quickly drove home, explained my predicament to my mom, grabbed my camera, and tried not to speed back into town.

*rewinds to the good part*

Running up to a bus to get a picture of the bus driver, I quickly asked to take her (the bus drivers) picture before she leaned over to me and said, "You know who's picture you should take? that lady over there." I had noticed the old lady trying to carry her Rubbermaid bin off the bus (i say "trying" because it looked to me like her back was breaking as she heaved that bin off the bus) but I had forgotten about the yellow -bathrobe-clad lady carrying 4 helium-filled balloons.

So I jumped off the bus and asked her if i could take her picture. "Sure!" she said, with so much enthusiasm that I had to ask, "Really??" But as a reply she dug in her bin and slapped a straw hat on her head and smiled [picture 1]

"Can you help me?" she asked, motioning to her bin. And so I helped her carry her bin to the edge of the ferry dock. Taking out her balloons, she handed me a lighter and motioned to her balloons. "Here," she said, "light this."

On our way to the ferry dock she told me that it was her husband's birthday, and that he had died a few years ago. It was also her daughter's birthday, but she didnt live around here, she said. One of the balloons, I noticed, read "Happy Birthday" and for the first time the presence of the balloons made a little sense.

She was asking me to burn the strings of the balloons from the bag it was being held to, and me being the "only tired to light a lighter twice in my life" that I am, couldnt get it to work. So she tried, but couldn’t get it to work either. "Oh, well," she said and looked at me, "you ready?" and she threw the balloons over the fence and into the ocean. "Happy birthday my dear husband. Happy birthday my daughter. Happy birthday my dear dear husband." She said over and over again while waving to the balloons. [picture 2] I leaned over the fence and shot a picture of the balloons [picture 3].

"Thank for letting me take your picture," I said smiling at the old woman. "Oh your welcome! Thank you for taking it Here... let me give you something." And before I could say anything she dug through her bin and handed me some flowers. "Ohhh! Thank you!" I felt truly blessed by this strange homeless lady, and with a last minute thought, "Can I take your picture again?" She smiled and nodded. Taking out her hat again she gave me the happiest smile I had seen that day. [picture 4]

okay that was a little longer than I thought it would be... sorry

any comments or critiques?... i cant really go back and take them... but maybe for next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself "Suzie Q"-suzie-before-heading-ferry-dock-2.jpg   The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself "Suzie Q"-suzie-waving-good-bye-balloons-2.jpg   The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself "Suzie Q"-balloons-water-2.jpg   The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself "Suzie Q"-suzie-happy-after-dropping-balloons-2.jpg  
    Last edited by sweetdeal22; 03-01-2006 at 10:19 PM.
    <- Jessica ->

Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ 28-105 lens

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Re: The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself "Suzie Q"

What a great story! My favorite is the first photo. I think in the second one, her head gets lost in the background, since her hair is so dark.

i love picture no 4! the expression on her face says it all! and i think being in B/W really suits this subject. www.k9imageworld.com www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Jessica, that's a really touching story. My favorite of this group is the first picture, because while I like her smile in the 4th one, the 1st one seems almost like she was being shy but not...does that make sense? You really captured a great expression in that one. I also really like the tilt of her hat.

Emily

Smile Re: The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself "Suzie Q"

OBie- I agree with you one the second one. I wish so bad that i had a better angle, but it was second thought to take the picture and it shows so much of the story.

Bevb- thank you I like it too... but I'm always afraid to show it without telling the whole story... because it's kinda scary looking, and not at all how I view her.

julsoph- makes total sense I was thinking the exact thing. And my photo J teacher agree's with on the tilt of the hat, he says it creates a creative line through the picture and frames her face.
    <- Jessica ->

Jessica,
    That certainly is a touching story, and I feel that you might have really given her something very meaningful to her by spending that little bit of time and interest in her and taking her pictures. I like the ist shot very much because, without even knowing the story, there is much depth in her expression and the framing is veruy good. The second shot is just not the right angle to bring us the moment. Possibly showing her face a bit and having the baloons higher in the air would have helped. The third shot just does not have anything there to hold my interest. The fourth is very good as well, and also framed nicely. i would like a little more pop in the contrasts and tones of the images here.
    Thanks for sharing your story and images.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

good call on the contrast... i find that scanners dont do photo's justice when it comes to keeping the orginal contrast.

Here's the first and last one with a little help from adobe:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself &quot;Suzie Q&quot;-suzie-before-heading-ferry-dock-2.jpg   The Homeless Lady Who Calls Herself &quot;Suzie Q&quot;-suzie-happy-after-dropping-balloons-contrast.jpg  
    Last edited by sweetdeal22; 03-04-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    <- Jessica ->

GB1

I think a person can learn more about life, with a lot less fluff, from someone who is out on the streets all the time. This includes the woman you photographed, but it also includes police officers, cabbies, and others to various degrees.

Good photos, and I hope you Photography teacher liked them too

GB

Thread Information