Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Foal and owner portrait

Hello,

This is another from a session with my niece about a month ago in South Carolina. My last post was my niece and the mother of this foal.

Anyway, all comments are appreciated and thanks for looking.

EOS 1V
    Sigma 300mm 2.8
    Tripod
    Off Camera Wireless Fill Flash at -2/3 stop
    Approx f/4 at 1/250th
    Kodak 400BW
    cropped left and right to 8x10 format
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foal and owner portrait-ashley-baby-horse-600-wide-web.jpg  

Liz

Hey there Joe!

Joe - it's so good to see you around here - and posting some of your great work.

This is a beautiful image. There is nothing I would change. The composition, contrast - everything looks great. You sure picked a winner with this lens. Of course, it's in the right hands! ;)

Your niece is lovely.

I hope all is well with Matthew.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by joemags
    Hello,

This is another from a session with my niece about a month ago in South Carolina. My last post was my niece and the mother of this foal.

EOS 1V
    Sigma 300mm 2.8
    Tripod
    Approx f/4 at 1/250th
    Kodak 400BW

Thanks Liz

Yeah, I really got lucky in picking up this lens a few years ago used for a really good price. It has really become my go to guy. It takes some discipline (tripod, cable release etc...) to get the best from it, plus it's huge and heavy but I just love it. Matthew is doing well. I plan on taking a new photo of him this weekend and I will be sure to post it. The proud poppa that I am and all.

I hope all is well with you. Sharon and Matthew say hello!

Take Care,
    Joe

Seb

Re: Foal and owner portrait

Quote Originally Posted by joemags
    Hello,

EOS 1V
    Sigma 300mm 2.8
    Tripod
    Approx f/4 at 1/250th
    Kodak 400BW
    Hello Joe, welcome back,

Your picture is quite striking. The tones and the lighting take it to the next level.
    Nevertheless,there is one small thing that distract me: I notice that you have used selective sharpening on the eyes of your beautiful nice and the pony (which was tastefully executed on your niece). Hovewer, since the pony is proeminent in the picture and that he have big eyes, his gaze almost become overwhelming, I think that slightly backing off the sharpening on the pony eye would be beneficial in this case.

regards

Seb

Thanks Seb

That’s a very insightful take on it. I actually sharpened both of their heads in their entirety. Kind of a big V shape from his ears down to his nose and back up to cover her entire head. When I sharpened the entire photo it introduced noise into the out of focus background so that’s why I went selective. All this being said though, this currently looks about as close to the original lab print as I could get. My point of critical focus was on his eye. I do see what you are saying about his intense gaze. I will definitely go back and try to soften his eye a bit. This will be the first time I’ve ever intentionally softened part of an image! I have very basic Photoshop skills and this will be a good opportunity for me to learn something new about Photoshop. This is the critique forum at its best as I would never have really noticed this without you pointing it out.

Thanks again Seb and take care,
    Joe

Thread Information