From the highlands

Printable View

• 12-03-2013, 03:10 AM
    hminx
    1 Attachment(s)
    From the highlands
    Shot this (photographically ) ,a couple of months back, in the Scottish highlands.

90mm, iso Auto 1100, 1/6400 sec, f5.6 slight crop
  • 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM
    CLKunst
    Re: From the highlands
    Pete I like this. Your focus is excellent, love the composition, and landscape details, especially the wildflowers. Well done!
  • 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM
    llewpics
    Excellent shot overall. The limited DOF, the flowers , the position of the subject, the green beyond - it all works very well. The only thing I would say is that I find the light in the upper right somewhat distracting, and would prefer the image with the green all the way up ...
  • 02-04-2014, 01:10 PM
    GB1
    Hey Pete -

Well composed. Nice sheep too. The issue I have with it is that, while shallow DOFs work on models and sports figures, doing it in the wild seems a tad out of place. It also makes me wonder if the sheep is supposed to a bikini model? (if so, Sports Illustrated may want to hire her. It's the time of the year for their famous swimsuit issue).

Seriously... Though rules are made to be broken, deep DOFs generally seem most appropriate for the outdoors. It's OK to mix things up and challenge those defined rules, but I think the background is nice here so not sure if the shallow DOF is superior to a deep one. But am sure the sheep feels special :)

G
  • 02-05-2014, 02:31 AM
    hminx
    Thanks Cindy

Thanks llewpics, I wondered if anyone would comment on that corner, it was even worse before the crop.

Appreciate the thoughts Greg, I was wondering if a model release was in order here .... :D
  • 02-13-2014, 10:02 PM
    pawn
    Hi,
    I think composition was good. How come 1/6400 shutter speed (w/ relative high ISO) was used? Would faster aperture (f/4) allow more shallow DOF and, therefore, make the sheep more standout?
  • 02-13-2014, 11:14 PM
    hminx
    Hi pawn and welcome to critique, frankly I'm not sure now why those settings were used, from memory it was quite gusty at the time and possibly the high shutter speed was to try and still the heather movement, auto iso, and at 90mm thats what the lens would allow for an f stop. Appreciate your thoughts.
  • 03-09-2014, 04:19 PM
    jeshuster14
    great shot!
  • 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
    FunkyMonkey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CLKunst View Post
    Pete I like this. Your focus is excellent, love the composition, and landscape details, especially the wildflowers. Well done!

Agreed, the blue sky feels a bit random there. Other than that great shot!
  • 04-03-2014, 09:28 PM
    JMASTERJ
    Thats cute and I love the colors... so many yet not overpowering... did u enhance the saturations?
  • 04-04-2014, 12:33 AM
    hminx
    just a small vibrance lift