Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Over At The Barn ...

Comments welcome.

EDIT - Not sure what happened, but this image quality looks horrible here compared to the image I uploaded; it displays soft and jagged. Looks like loss of quality somehow.

Name:  DSC_9638_Edit1_Post2_Crop1_1200.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  129.5 KB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Over At The Barn ...

Well if you have those issues resolved on your end them this one is nice. My only nit pick would be the area around her right eye, right hand and hair. It looks a bit odd like you caught her between poses. Like her hand is to high. Other than that I like it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Totally agree with, Greg on the hand and eye thing. I like the contrast of red dress with more subdued background color.
    Sure is nice to finally have a calibrated monitor.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB1

Thanks fellows, for your observations. Greg, good observation as I may have caught her between poses here, but that wasn't unintentional. Some of the models dont' quite know where to place their hands (always tough for a young model) and sometimes even when you help pose them it looks unnatural. Often times in such situations, their better poses are the ones in between their poses, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure I'm helping them get better doing that though ... they need the practice of taking and holding poses and still looking natural.

Frog, you're scaring me popping in like this! Where have you been, haven't seen you in 4 maybe 6 months.

G

My Site

I like the location but I don't like the subjects relation to the surroundings. The outfit doesn't match the theme not to mention the color. Not seeing her feet bothers me. I don't know why. A fill in light would've been nice to get rid of the shadows from the main light.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Regarding the image quality issues, Greg - I think maybe the upload compression settings may have been changed when the gallery / forums upload crashed. Thanks for bringing it up. I'll upload some of my own photos and see if I can spot a pattern.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I agree with Poker, not seeing her feet makes it look strange, either she is extremely short or an amputee. I however love the nice red dress in the dirty barn, it makes it interesting. I think if she had on some cowboy boots and had the bottom of the dress pulled up a bit it would be perfect! I have worked with a lot of young models and I always find that the first 10 shots or so are pretty much throw aways because they are getting used to you and the surroundings. But also being a young female myself it is easier for me to relate and make them feel more relaxed. I feel sorry for the guys! They have it much harder! Oh and about the hand, to me it almost looks like she was fixing her hair, so if she had raised her elbow up off her knee a little I think it would have been better. Maybe?

GB1

Thanks Poker and Yellow for your comments. I have a lot more to learn about posing models I must admit. I see what you mean about the feet, didn't even see that till you mentioned. As with the red dress, we were aiming for a different type of scene, with out of place outfit against the harsh background. Yellow, will think about your suggestions for next time. Her holding up her hair with elbow up might work, though usually I think it works much better with both hands pulling the hair up. That often works best with long-haired models, too.

PJ, not sure what happened with the compression. May be a setting that got reset to low quality by default. I have seen other posts since and they looked OK, so maybe it's all back to normal now.

G

My Site

No prob! But not really "holding the hair up" necessarily, more like fixing it. Like if she was moving it out of her face.. again, being a girl helps out a lot in these situations lol. I can't wait to see more from you!

Thread Information