Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Help please

a2z

Help please

Hello everyone. I'm hoping I can get some help and see what people think of a picture I took this past week. Some of my photography has been gaining some popularity with people back on my college campus and I've been invited to participate in a photography competition before I return back from my semester abroad. Anyway, there are three categories to this competition with a best in show award and then 1st-3rd place finishers in the categories of people, place, food. I don't really have many options for people or food yet but my recent week long trip to the Cinque Terre area in Italy did get me some good images for places. I'd really just like to get some opinions on what other people think. I'm a design student and I love having my work criticized and being able to learn from mistakes to make myself a better photographer. I do it mostly as a hobby but being invited to participate in this little competition on my college campus has me wondering what looks good out of my work and what I should be submitting. Please, community out there, I'd really appreciate some honest feedback. Photographs entered into the competition must be done by October 11th so I still have time to do some traveling and take some unique pictures but like I said, I want to see what other people think. We can all learn from each other and I look forward to learning.

The link to the picture in higher quality can be found below and I uploaded it to my gallery on here. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meatbal.../5009539113/#/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help please-img_1709.jpg  
    Last edited by a2z; 09-20-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Re: Help please

I see nothing - just the little red x.

You would get more viewing and critique if you posted it here.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

a2z

Would you mind letting me know how to post it on here? Sorry, I'm just new to this site. I'll try again and I hope that works but if it doesn't, then maybe you have better advice how to upload it. Thanks.

a2z

Yes I just tried it again and it didn't work out. I don't see an image. I downloaded the image and got the image url from that. I'm guessing I just don't know the tricks of the trade trying to upload any images on here

Upload

To use the direct method:

- Use either the 'Quote' button or 'Go Advanced' under the 'Quick Reply' (or for a New Post).
    - Then hit the 'Upload Photos" button.
    - Hit one of the 'Browse' buttons and find the file on your computer.
    - Hit the 'Upload' button.
    - After it uploads, hit the 'Close This Window'.

The file has to be smaller than 293 KB and the picture must be 800 pixels or less both high and wide. Also note that the 'Preview Post' will NOT show the picture.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

a2z

Woohoo! I got that all taken care of. Thanks for your help!

n8

I think the rays coming through the clouds looks spectacular. I could see you getting some heat for the blown highlights at the very top, and in the water were the sun is shining down, as well as for the lack of "subject," although I'm find with the scene being the subject. Since you are focusing one the clouds and sun rays, I wonder if playing with the contrast, if not some hdr treatment wouldn't bring them out some more. I'd also clone out those ducks.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

I think it is quite good, but it plays to what I like. I believe this *is* an hdr treatment. It looks a LOT like my altas shot. All that having been said, it is a really nice sky but nothing more. Put that sky together with a more interesting subject that a sheet of water and you have something.

Not meant to be negative, since I like the shot quite a bit...

a2z

There's actually no HDR treatment to the image. I chose a different setting on my camera to keep it from being too overexposed. Wish I had my DSLR with me while I'm abroad but I don't want to risk anything possibly happening to that. I completely understand it's rather blank, and I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of that. It's just that when I took the picture I saw the couple little fishing boats out in the water and even thought I'm not the most devout Catholic, when I looked at the image on my laptop screen I kind of viewed things as God looking down upon those out on the water. Aside from me looking down on the view, I feel as though it can make comparisons to Biblical verses in the same sens that God is watching over all. That's just how I saw it, especially after having attended catholic school in grade school all the way throughout high school. It's just my interpretation, but of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can only learn and get better from what other people have to say. I guess I wanted to get some context in there so maybe it can help things out. I'm also going to be uploading a couple other images that I'd love to hear some input about so I'll have those in different posts. Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas. I always love hearing what other people have to say.

In that case, I second the opinion that you should try tone mapping it.

a2z

Hey guys, here's the other photo I got while I was in the village of Riomaggiore. I think putting this one up next to the one of the sky and sea will give some good contrast for a specific subject such as how to improve upon showing more of an understanding of how to balance things between a shot with more of a straight forward subject in comparison to the other picture I have in my first post. There is some Photoshop editing in this image but not enough that I feel has gone over the top. It helps that the buildings and the greenery have a very rich color so all I did was a few little adjustments.

I hope I'm not asking too much to take a look at two different pictures in this single thread and again, any comments, criticisms, ideas or concerns are much appreciated. Photography is just a hobby of mine and while I'm abroad I'd like to try and improve my skills so that's why I'm asking so much. Thanks again.

Also, here's a link to this photo in higher quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meatballmafia/5011184347/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help please-img_1727b.jpg  

The horizon/water level doesn't look level.

on the first photo I think your subject are the light rays and to me is more than enough, you captured beautifully

the second shot, you have framed the building and the hill very well, the boat is partially in the picture and leaves me wanting to see it complete

a2z

Nice catch on that AgingEyes... Didn't notice that until just now

I like the second one much better but yet the boats should have been the main subject of the picture framed by buildings, mountain, and water in the very foreground. Without the boats, I have serious doubts!.

Both are lovely. The first photo may ba a little too symmetical for my taste. Maybe a small crop on the left would help. The second photo is just wonderful. I love the color. That's the one to submit.

Second one feels a bit cramped, and I am not sure if I think that is good or not. I guess it is kind of the point. The lighting is quite good, but the hard shadow on the buildings in the back seems a bit jarring. My eyes aren't super good, but it seems the focus may be just a tad off too, but I am very likely wrong about that.

a2z

@ daq7: I'm pretty sure the focus is set properly but I will take a look at that in the photoshop file and see if I can make any adjustments. I will agree, it does cast a pretty harsh shadow but when the sun was setting the sky was absolutely clear and the angle of the sun created that harsh shadow. I will play with the curves and see if I can make it little less dramatic.
    @ Asmarlak: I see it now, the boats are a very big focus, considering how these villages are all big fishing villages. For me it was about trying to get all the buildings in the picture but I realize I neglected the foreground which is easily one of the first things people look at. I loved the color in the second photo and when I saw it full screen I loved it. I don't want to mess with the overall color (just the shadows) but it definitely would have been nice to get the boat in full in the picture. My only worry with being able to do that was I would have had to stand on the side of the rocks that waves were crashing into. I was a little nervous to stand on that side to get all the information in, but sometimes it can be worth the risk.

Anyway, I really do love hearing what everyone has to say. Having never taken a formal photography class and being able to hear what people have to say about my work is wonderful for me. I have noticed previously (before I came over to Germany to study) that I seem to take more care and more time when using my Canon EOS10D (thanks dad) in comparison to using my point and shoot Canon (which I've used in the photos above). I will admit, it's a lack of experience but like I've said, photography has just been a hobby. Nothing I've really had the time to study other than reading up on things, and it's mostly due to my busy school schedule when I'm back in the USA. I've longed to take a photography or a photo composition class but nothing works out.It's something I want to get better at and I want to train to my eye to point things out to make sure I know what I'm getting as an end result in a photograph, and the advice that I receive on here I know will at least get me started and I truly appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions. With how much art means to me, it really is wonderful to be able to take in what other people have said and apply changes, make things better, and learn. Thanks again.

Thread Information