Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Walking on Air

Walking on Air

Canon Powershot Pro 1
    ISO 50
    F8.0
    1/125
    28mm

Only a 100M up

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Walking on Air-crw_4283-640.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Re: Walking on Air

Only 100m up!!! Without any shoes?!?!?

Great idea and I really like the colours on the curving bars to the right of the image, they contrast really nicely with the water below. Would maybe be tempted to crop out the dark lines at the top and the bottom of the image as well as the conflicting shape to the right of the shot.

Thanks for sharing
    Herriot

I think you wanted the feet in the photo, but my preference would be not to have them in there.

To each his own tho.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Roger,

Great eye for composition and a wonderful idea. I do agree with Herriot though about cropping off the support beams on the top and bottom of the shot. Great shot though, love the idea!

Roger; I've just been levitating for the last 5 mins trying to find which angle I should be looking at this one at. In other words I feel this should be vertical, especially if those are your feet.?
    I can put the monitor back to its original position now.
    Great shot though.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

What a dizzying shot, Roger! I could never have taken something like this myself...I wouldn't be able to step out on something like that...lol!

I love it though...the angle is very cool, and I love the curves of the lines on the right. I do agree about trying out slight crops of the top and bottom.

Emily

Hi Roger,
    The shot has a number of interesting elements: light and shadows, arcs and straight lines, land and sea. I just wish there were a person on the ground looking up to contrast the one (you) on the high floor. Nice shot!
    yoyo

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    I just wish there were a person on the ground looking up to contrast the one (you) on the high floor.
    Thanks for all the comments

Yoyo - there are people on the ground, but on the bottom right - very small in the shot. No one was allowed onto the base platform for some reason.

Emily - It was great - all these people adults and children gingerly walking on the glass and then I come along and jump on it. You should have seen their faces! just wish I could have taken the photo. LOL

Tom - I was going to reply last night but after reading your comment I couldn't stop laughing for ages. Still chuckling - hope your monitor is ok. I couldn't decide when I took the photo which way up I wanted it and then when I went to post I couldn't decide whether to rotate - so left the way I took the photo. I think turning it could be good too.

Jared - Herriot - I knew there was something better that could be done and your right I will crop and re-post tonight.

Tim - I know what you mean and have the shot without my feet as well. I took the one with the feet so that I could use the title.

I will post a few more of this location tonight if I get the time.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

So which one the rotated or the original?

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Walking on Air-crw_4283-640.jpg   Walking on Air-crw_4283-rotated-640.jpg  

DSLR
    Digital

Roger,

I like it, it is as if the person is floating or morbidly hanging, I do like the 90 degree ccw version.

Nice photo
    Don Mash

Canon 1D Mark II N
    Canon 70-200mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L USM
    Canon EF 1.4x II extender
    Canon Speedlite 580ex
    Bogen monopod 679B
    Manfrotto 3265 joystick ball head

"Life is a journey not a destination"

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Roger - I like the rotated one - but then I tend to be one who prefers logical views.

Re your jumping on the glass - you are the kind of person my husband would be speaking ill of later on! (He would be the one at the edge of the glass with one toe on it and his eyes closed.)

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The original makes me stop and look and think longer, once rotated it's a natural view because the feet are oriented as if I was standing there - I think the tension of the feet on the left makes it better.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by donmash
    Roger,

I like it, it is as if the person is floating or morbidly hanging, I do like the 90 degree ccw version.

Nice photo
    Okay, I'm tired but I have to give up what does ccw stand for "Crusty, Crazy & Whitless"?
    So reveal all Don ccw?.

Obie - its pure logic - its bullet proof glass so my weight and velocity from a jump isn't really going to have any effect on the glass, but there were a load of parents there who thought the same. LOL

Paul - Yep I totally agree with the no rotation as it didn't look right in the viewfinder and I still prefer the cropped with the original orientation.

Thanks to all for looking and helping through the critiques.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

counter clock wise

cool shot! I think I would have been going a little dizzy taking this.
    Love your composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    counter clock wise

cool shot! I think I would have been going a little dizzy taking this.
    Love your composition.
    Thanks Alison I must be more tired than I thought.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

I am in agreement with Paul on this one, the rotated version, IMO, doesn't hold my attention for so long, the crop works.

Herriot

Thread Information