Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Hasselblad test shots

I recently bought a Hasselblad at an estate sale. After an expensive check up I shot a few shots. The final cost for the camera ended up being a steal. There are a lot of little grains and what I think is a light leak. Any suggestions or input on why these look a certain way would really be appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hasselblad test shots-bbqday.jpg   Hasselblad test shots-frisby-park.jpg   Hasselblad test shots-frisbyparksunset.jpg   Hasselblad test shots-powerlines2.jpg   Hasselblad test shots-grill.jpg  

Re: Hasselblad test shots

I think the light leak, if it's there, is something that you don't want to have. But, except the first one, the rest don't look to have the same problem as the first one. As for the graininess, what film you were using (don't get me wrong I'm guessing it's a film Hasselblad)? The way the film is developed also could cause graininess, if I'm not mistaken. I personally don't mind much of it. IMO, graininess just give the image a different look

If you used the same body and lens on all these, which it looks like you had, I don't think it is a light leak because they would all have it. Light leak on a hassellblad also kind of sounds unlikely. The grain increases with the sensitivity of the film. There is quite a bit of grain on these so if it is not a film of over ISO 800 then processing may be the reason. Poor processing could explain the light leak on the first one - for instance - some light was creeping into the darkroom during developing. Also, if it is the first shot taken on the 120 film, and you did not fold the 120 film back right when you took it out of the cassette, it could have leaked on the film then as well.

With Trix you will get grain. The first one has been exposed to light. Probably when loading, unloading or getting into the tank. I had this very same thing happen when I was taking the lid of off the developing tank to change from developer to fixer and the funnel came up with the lid slightly exposing one side of the reel during developing. I am not sure if I have ever added grain during developing but different chemicals and combinations or even agitation can change contrast.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

These were shot with Ilford Delta 400.

The edge of both film shows a bit of a light leak. These are from two different rolls. I may have to tape off my back once I put it on. I shot another roll that I will be taking in soon. Depending on how this roll looks I may take the camera back to where it was serviced.

Thread Information