Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Film shots, I believe Velvia 100 ASA, of the Guadalupe Mountains in west Texas.

C&Cs welcome.
    G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guadalupe Mountains National Park-guadalupemtns_2_april_2011_800.jpg   Guadalupe Mountains National Park-guadalupemtns_1_april_2011_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Guadalupe Mountains National Park

The first one seems the more interesting of the two, the plants in the foreground and the trees on the left lift it a bit over the other shot. I think it might also benefit from a colour lift as well. Looks like a pleasant spot to be taking photos though GB.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

GB1

Thanks Pete. The images seem to me a bit, well, deep, like the contrasts and colors are buried below a layer of something. Not sure why ..

G

My Site

GB, you talking about the haze? I think it was just a hazy day.

as for the photo. I think they're too busy in colour. might work better in b&w. I prefer the 2nd one and the open space in the middle. this one has more breathing room.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB, I prefer the second one, for composition and leading lines.
    Just a thought, could you try shadows/highlights in photoshop (if you have it)?
    I might just lift some of the trees and rocks up a notch

Lou.

Vevlia drools, sometimes I miss film...
    I looked at these for a while and the more i looked at them the more I was distracted by the glow on the horizon and the hill on the right. I know it isn't barren but something makes me feel like that hill is empty.

I also felt that there was a lot going on in the foreground that distracted from the vista.

I am not sure why but I find the first shot more visually appealling but actually think the composition of the second works better. perhaps I just like clutter!
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

GB1

Thanks Liban, Lou and Skyman.

I think one issue here is that the image opens up to a degree, leading the viewer down the path but to a place (in the horizon) where there's nothing to see. If it had a rainbow, pretty cloud formation, a city, tower, or whatever, I think it would be a more logical progression.

Liban, funny but I don't remember it being super hazy, but maybe it was. I tried a B&W conversion, which I think works to a degree. It created some noise in the sky, which I blurred out but which in turn may have affected the horizon's sharpness a little.

Lou, I have played with the shadow control but conservatively here. Lightening up the shadows too much seems to knock out contrast, which can make it dull. I tried it a bit with this B&W..

Skyman - Thanks for the input. The background glow is a bit distracting. No question that the foreground's cluttered, though no object in particular stands out over the other objects. It's almost like a collection of toys left on the ground by a bunch of kids Velvia has its advantages, but I miss KR more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guadalupe Mountains National Park-guadalupemtns_1_bw_april_2011_800.jpg  

My Site

Thread Information