• 05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
    GB1
    2 Attachment(s)
    Guadalupe Mountains National Park
    Film shots, I believe Velvia 100 ASA, of the Guadalupe Mountains in west Texas.

C&Cs welcome.
    G
  • 05-03-2011, 11:10 PM
    hminx
    Re: Guadalupe Mountains National Park
    The first one seems the more interesting of the two, the plants in the foreground and the trees on the left lift it a bit over the other shot. I think it might also benefit from a colour lift as well. Looks like a pleasant spot to be taking photos though GB.
  • 05-04-2011, 08:54 PM
    GB1
    Thanks Pete. The images seem to me a bit, well, deep, like the contrasts and colors are buried below a layer of something. Not sure why ..

G
  • 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM
    LeeIs
    GB, you talking about the haze? I think it was just a hazy day.

as for the photo. I think they're too busy in colour. might work better in b&w. I prefer the 2nd one and the open space in the middle. this one has more breathing room.
  • 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
    Ekir
    GB, I prefer the second one, for composition and leading lines.
    Just a thought, could you try shadows/highlights in photoshop (if you have it)?
    I might just lift some of the trees and rocks up a notch :)

Lou.
  • 05-05-2011, 06:08 PM
    Skyman
    Vevlia drools, sometimes I miss film...
    I looked at these for a while and the more i looked at them the more I was distracted by the glow on the horizon and the hill on the right. I know it isn't barren but something makes me feel like that hill is empty.

I also felt that there was a lot going on in the foreground that distracted from the vista.

I am not sure why but I find the first shot more visually appealling but actually think the composition of the second works better. perhaps I just like clutter!
  • 05-06-2011, 11:57 PM
    GB1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks Liban, Lou and Skyman.

I think one issue here is that the image opens up to a degree, leading the viewer down the path but to a place (in the horizon) where there's nothing to see. If it had a rainbow, pretty cloud formation, a city, tower, or whatever, I think it would be a more logical progression.

Liban, funny but I don't remember it being super hazy, but maybe it was. I tried a B&W conversion, which I think works to a degree. It created some noise in the sky, which I blurred out but which in turn may have affected the horizon's sharpness a little.

Lou, I have played with the shadow control but conservatively here. Lightening up the shadows too much seems to knock out contrast, which can make it dull. I tried it a bit with this B&W..

Skyman - Thanks for the input. The background glow is a bit distracting. No question that the foreground's cluttered, though no object in particular stands out over the other objects. It's almost like a collection of toys left on the ground by a bunch of kids :) Velvia has its advantages, but I miss KR more.