Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Painted Scene

Painted Scene

It was nice out today, so I decided to get out and shoot some today after school. I've been coming by this place every now and then that I've wanted to shoot for a while. So since today was so nice, I decided to stop and shoot. So here's my finished product. I wanted to try to make it look like a black and white painting. Don't know that I done such a good job on that because I don't normally do painting effects, but none the less, this is it.
    Photography Equipment:

Nikon D90
    NIkon D3000
    Nikon 50mm F1.8G
    Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6G
    Nikon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    Nikon SB-900
    Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8

Tamrac 5374 camera backpack
    Dolica 73-Inch Proline Tripod with pan head

MB1

Re: Painted Scene

Generally I like this photo. I like B&W, I like the format and that structure is interesting.

Of course when someone says, "Generally" that leaves lots of room for "Buts."

My "Buts."
    1. Are there B&W paintings? Pen and ink drawings and charcoal sketches sure, but no paintings that come to mind.

2. You have a lot of light falloff on the left that adds nothing for me.

3. The hill in the background seems too centered and divides the image in half.

So overall I like it quite a bit and find it interesting to view but perhaps not a winner.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

I like the effect overall. It doesn't look 'realistic' but more like a fantasy movie. The black and white's fine with me. There seems to be a slight glowing effect where the sky meets the horizon .. neat; but then I look for the dragon flying in the sky, and want to see a castle too

I would agree that the mountain is too centered: it is the weakness part of the composition, and should be easily correctable on a reshoot (I would suggest moving to the left when reshooting).

I do see some light falloff/vignetting in the corners, esp on the left side. You may be able to fix this in Photoshop w/ one of their effects (lens correction?). Try to figure out the cause of that too, so that it doesn't happen every time: I found that my filters were showing on the widest angle setting of my zoom (arggg- now I need to zoom slightly out when I use a problem filter). If you decide to leave it in the image I would suggest actually adding more,to make a statement.

Overall though, I think the image is a nice creation and that you're vision here is interesting.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I agree with the moderators comments (well I suppose one should really) but I like it - shows imagination

I prefer to see more sky.

Pano is over-rated and likely over-used. But it could just be me :blush2:

Thanks guys, these are all really good critiques. But about the light falloff/vignetting around the edges, that came with the filter that I downloaded. I, however, didn't think to go into the lens correction and see if I could fix it. I just assumed that it was stuck there and I couldn't do anything with it.

But I do agree, after I got home with it and put it on my computer, I then realised that the mountain was to centered. But I couldn't do anything about it, so I just left it.

But thanks guys. These critiques really help out a lot.
    Photography Equipment:

Nikon D90
    NIkon D3000
    Nikon 50mm F1.8G
    Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6G
    Nikon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    Nikon SB-900
    Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8

Tamrac 5374 camera backpack
    Dolica 73-Inch Proline Tripod with pan head

Thread Information