Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

This is an evening shot I took back in 2011, looking away from the sunset from the top of the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone. Because of the indirect lighting and clouds, the image came out pretty flat, so I made three exposures of this image (-2, 0, +2) and made an HDR image out of them. The centeredness of the image nags at me, but I don't know how I'd crop it without losing the "feel" of the location. Otherwise, wondering how the PP looks to all of you, and any thoughts or suggestions you want to contribute. (The OOF, hazy looking area along the left bank is mist from the falls that are directly under the camera.)
    Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone-20110707_lowerfalls_ynp_1712-edit.jpg
    Canon 5d MkII, EF 24-70 L @ 24 mm, 1/25, f/16, ISO 200
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

As you say the centred river is a minor issue but I don't think a crop will fix it without losing some of the effect. The colours remind me of some 1930s Wild West or boys own illustration. Possibly a vibrancy and contrast bump but other than that I'd leave it alone.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

GB1

Hmm. Interesting pic, Ken. I find it somewhat retro, like it belongs in a travel brochure from the 50s or 60s Must be those earthy colors that were the mark of some film and/or paper back then, though I can't remember which one it was (Agfa looked a lot like this, very brown, grey..).

The river is certainly the focal point, but there may be too little of it to scratch the itch.

However, if you could somehow turn this into an animated image and have the water MOVING, I think that would be really neat. no kidding!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I think the composition works for me here. I think the white balance and color may need a little tweaking - this is probably why G said it looked like from an old catalog ...because the color balance in the analog days was often a little off. Also, HDR sometimes create insufficient contrast ...so you could actually maybe add some more - especially in the whites.

Thread Information