Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Hot Summer Day

Hot Summer Day

Guardian of the Water Bottles

Re: Hot Summer Day

I like the kitty cat photo here best, Don. It definitely has a hot summer day feel in my mind. I know how good kitties are at finding the absolute coolest spot and stretching out like that. I think it would benefit from a bit of a crop. I think taking a little off the top and a little off the right makes that path work better as a leading line, bringing the eye to the cat and then back around. Right now, the path leads me a little too far out of the image and I sort of get lost out there.

The spider image also caught my attention. That one I think just needs to be tighter. I see your title but I find the background distracting. The spider is too small and there's just too much going on in the background.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nice shots!

I like the fisheye effect of these shots. I wonder if the scarecrow pics might be a bit stronger if you cropped in on the scarecrow a bit, but you don't want to lose context.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyAllie View Post
    Nice shots!
    Thanks for commenting, Sallie. However, that's not a critique. We make a real effort to make sure this forum is more than just a place to share photos and collect compliments. So please tell us more - why are these nice shots? What about them makes you like them?

You may not know this - but you will actually improve your own photography by writing a good critique. Making the effort to analyze and articulate what you think is good and bad about someone else's photo will help you see your own photos better and incorporate what you learn into your own photographic process. In my opinion, the critic actually has more to gain from careful criticism than the photographer getting critiqued. So c'mon, give it a shot - what do you think is good and bad about these photos? What can Don do to make these better - or make his next photos better?
    Photo-John

Agreed to Photo-John, kitty photo stands no1 for me too.
    I can see Don likes to make some vibrant and colorfull images so among other shots in this set, kitty photo has "cool" spot for eyes to relax - it's the black kitty!

Very nice and colorfull photos.

Quote Originally Posted by georgimz View Post
    Very nice and colorfull photos.
    Thanks for jumping right in and commenting, georgimz. However, that isn't really a critique. Please take a few minutes to offer Don some really useful feedback. This is a serious photo critique forum and we would like everyone who comments to offer something constructive and useful. Thanks
    Photo-John

Thread Information