• 04-16-2014, 07:04 AM
    chasingkt
    1 Attachment(s)
    Goose
    Nikon D40 18-55mm
    ISO: 200
    Aperture: f/10
    Shutter: 1/320

Original had a boat in the upper left, but I was told it was too distracting so that's why I cropped it out.
  • 04-16-2014, 05:08 PM
    Lava Lamp
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Goose
    This is a good start, I think, but with most animal (and people) shots you want to see an eye. The problem is the relatively strong light behind the goose and the relative darkness of its head. The result is that the head is a bit silhouetted and you can't see the eye or much detail. Fill flash might help, or some post processing (like my attached crop of your goose's head), but mostly it is just a tough shot to get.

I posted the crop of your goose to show you what I mean. If that's not okay, let me know and I'll take it down.
  • 04-16-2014, 05:26 PM
    chasingkt
    That's perfectly fine for posting it. I appreciate all the help I can get. I see what you mean about the eye. I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time dealing with animals/people. Thanks!
  • 04-18-2014, 02:56 PM
    CLKunst
    Welcome chasingkt!
    This is lovely start! Lava makes a good suggestion about post processing and adding a little light to the foreground but as an overall image I think it's very pleasing. The vertical elements from the grass on the shore and the pretty shades of blue are an appropriate background for your subject and you could probably get away with a more conventional crop size (8x10) if you chose to print it based on what's here. Overall, I like the composition but would enjoy seeing the full frame shot for comparison. The crop's a bit tight on the left side. Thanks for posting!
  • 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM
    rafageounb
    I liked the compositon. Its vry good. I know the interest point here should be the duck, but the scenario is so nice! I can see grass, sand and a lake in the background. Vry nice the transition on the ground. Lava Lamp is right, the darkness in the neck and head of the duck dont make it easy to bright the eyes, but I think there was a lack of focus too, I dont know. Nice photo. I'd try to get a better focus on the duck's eyes and maybe a little bit of grass in the shot! Grats
  • 04-21-2014, 06:58 AM
    chasingkt
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thank you, CLKunst and rafageounb! I appreciate your feedback. I posted my original before the crop if you still wanted to compare.
  • 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM
    Lava Lamp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasingkt View Post
    Thank you, CLKunst and rafageounb! I appreciate your feedback. I posted my original before the crop if you still wanted to compare.

Oh, boy. I like this version MUCH better. Notice how three dimensional it looks now.
  • 05-18-2014, 07:00 AM
    Cihans
    I much prefer the original too!!
  • 05-18-2014, 04:30 PM
    Greg McCary
    I like the composition but the things I thing need worked one. The first is the tail of the duck poking out of the frame, that's a no no. Second I think it's to dark and the duck needs to be brighter.
    Someone told me a long time ago and maybe here that the most important part of an animal shot is the eyes. Make sure the eyes are plainly visible. Learn to process your pictures that is a big part of cemeting your style.