Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Mos

Good composition?

Hi again guys. I've been watching a few lectures on composition and subsequently went through some of my photos. I found this photo and didn't really like it through the camera as the colours came out a little flat. But with a little post-processing I managed to salvage the colours and got it to 'pop' a little. I thought this is a rather neatly composed photo. What do you guys think? Look forward to some constructive critiques!=)

Good composition?-dsc_0730.jpg

Re: Good composition?

It is well composed with nearly perfect thirds, and nothing centered. My only complaint is the tree branches in the upper left, since such a small amount is seen with no source, it becomes clutter. It could be cloned out if you wanted to, or for future notice try to avoid stray objects entering corners.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

That dude with a camera

The rule of thirds was well applied, you have the sky, water, and rock all in a nice place.

I think that if the couple were a little more to the left, the sun more to the right, and the piece of land out of the frame( it does not bring anything to the image, only steals attention from the blissful moment), it would be stronger.
    Or you could have moved to the left, and have the sun on the 1st third and the couple on the 3rd third.

GB1

Welcome MOS - This one's a bit unconventional, with the distant land mass taking up about one half the frame and the people facing left but looking right, etc. I think the overall expanse of the image makes it panoramic, giving the viewer the sense of being there. Could it be even better? Yes, but depends on what you're hoping to show. I think I would personally crop in a bit and move them a little farther to the left of the (cropped) image, say to the 1/3rd pt. You would also crop a bit off the right (how much is TBD). Doing this would pull the viewer more to the subjects, which is the couple, though they are a tad too small in the original image. Just a suggestion, anyway.

Composition isn't easy for me. I am constantly looking to see how I can arrange things to get an interesting and effective image, both when shooting and in post processing. I have a feeling this is the way it is w/ most photographers!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information