Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

going to california

check out my site:
    http://bloodorflies.googlepages.com/home

no retouching was done on these pics.

GB1

Re: going to california

bloodorflies,

Good potential. I like the scene overall, and I think that the road in the foreground is a nice change-up (though I'm sure others will disagree. It probably could use something in that space). But what strikes me as needed here is a something to smooth out the contrast in the sky. I think it's possible you shot this at mid-day and that it would have been better at sunrise or sunset. This is so true of most Western USA shots - the sun is just so intense, due to lack of cloud cover, that photos seem harsh at other times. A polarizer may have taken the edges off of it also.

Anyway, welcome to the PR board

-GB

your exactly right...it was mid day..and for the record I'm still quite an amatuer....but i do think i have another version of that pic that was exposed a little better...probably should have chose something else to post here.

That's a nice first post. Personally, I don't care for the road, but you got a great scene and good framing, and the sky is wonderful. I bet it would be awesome if you could reshoot it early in the day with an 81a filter. Still, a nice attempt and worth a retry. Welcome to PR

Edit: Some post work on this will do alot for it. Try warming it up a littlle, increase your saturation a tad bit, and a smidge of sharpen. I tried it... big improvement. However, no post work beats good light.

i don't really tend to do any post work.....not at the moment anyway.

Let me say right off that this is better than most landscapes I've ever done.

But here's the BUT: it seems like there should be a mountain bike or a mountain goat or a mountaineer there in the middle ground, otherwise it seems like a bit of a background shot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Let me say right off that this is better than most landscapes I've ever done.

But here's the BUT: it seems like there should be a mountain bike or a mountain goat or a mountaineer there in the middle ground, otherwise it seems like a bit of a background shot to me.

check my link up there...i think there are some better shots there.

I like the photo as it is clear and sharp. It's too bad that the sky in the upper right hand corner starts to wipe out the color of the blue sky and makes it look to whited out. Of course nature is dealing that shot with the clouds, everyday can't be perfectly sunny without clouds. I will be going to Vegas at the end of May and I am planning on going to Red Rock Canyon and the Grand Canyon as well. I mostly shoot sports so trying to get that infamous grand picture of the Canyons sure will be some work for me. Overall nice shot...
    Canon 30D Replaces Rebel
    Canon 20D
    Canon Rebel 300D (stolen)
    Canon 50MM 1.8 USM
    Canon 28-135 MM f 3.5 IS USM
    Canon 70-200 MM f 2.8 L IS USM
    Canon 1.4X Tele
    Canon 550EX

Thread Information