Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Historical Style: The Washington from the Jefferson

A companion shot to the Jefferson shot. Again, 1938 Exakta capturing the timeless Washington monument. I know cetering the subject is a bit boring but I actually sort of liked the perpendicular look of the Washington meeting the ground and pointing upward to the sky.

GB1

Re: Historical Style: The Washington from the Jefferson

Sure seems nostalgic. I like the effect, but not the slight tilt of the middle ground. I would also crop out most of the water cause it doesn't add anything. And yes, I too feel that centering was the best choice here. Symmetry is also a good thing sometimes

gb

Re: Historical Style: The Washington from the Jefferson

hmm quite true about the water. I'd wished there were some of the local paddle or small boats to fill it.

Yes, the shore there is a bit down sloping. The waist-level view finder is a bit tricky that way I think.

My other gripe is with the monument being almost 2-D. It has a very flat effect from that angle. The place was somewhat full of tourists that day so a clean shot was hard to find. I think the light at sunset combined with that angle and the long distance to give it that sort of foggy effect. I suppose a closer shot with a wide angle (I think I need one of those lenses) might help. Maybe this summer a nice shot will be there.

Thread Information