Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: My Cat

My Cat

I'm not sure if the picture is showing so if it doesn't, I need some getting used to this new forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cat-2004_0208image0001.jpg  

i like how you moved the subject off-center. that's a good place to start. here's a couple of critiques from a non-expert:
    1. it's a bit soft. if the cat is your subject, try to get it more in focus. it looks like the camera may have thought you were focusing on the trees just below the tail. most auto focus cameras allow you to focus (usually with a half-press of the shutter), recompose, and then take the shot. check your manual for how to do this.
    2. compositionally, you usually want to try to capture animate subjects (people, animals, cars, etc.) in a position that allows them space to move or gaze into the frame. now, this "rule" is loose. it can be broken- usually to denote tension in the photo. but i'm guessing you weren't going for that. so, in this photo, i'd have tried to put the cat on the right side of the frame, looking left into it.

just a couple of things to think about. keep posting! this is a great place to learn techniques as most of the folks here are friendly and more than willing to help out.
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

Thread Information