Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Gas Pop Art

GB1

Gas Pop Art

Talk about about the exploding price of gas Your likes and dislikes...?

Gb

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Gas Pop Art

The second with its Andy Warhol look is the one that I prefer, The rest look like you have been experimenting with filters.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

GB1

Thanks Pete, but is that all I get here.. just ONE comment? Com'on guys, you're no FUN.

How about this animated gif version ?

yeah, I know ..

My Site

GB - this is a pretty far out style. When it becomes so abstract like this it makes a critique pretty hard to do.

The first one just bothers me haha. No good at all.

The second one is a mixed bag, it does have some interesting shapes and details going on in it.

The third is good but not my favorite choice of hues.

The fourth the effect is a little overdone.

But it all definitely does depict an exploding gas price sort of visual. You definitely succeeded in communicating that.

But see all those critiques have nothing to do with any objective standard of measurement... I really pulled all that stuff right out of my ass, lol. Just being fun :arf:

GB1

My favorite's probably the bottom one, as I think it has an old 'pop' color about it.

Agree with it being a bit different in critiquing abstracts. But in some ways I find them easier to critique, as my comments are less canned. Nothing wrong with basing your assessment on 'unobjective' measures every now and then. As they say, what comes first, the chicken, or the egg? I think the measurements that we normally use were derived from asking "Do you like it?" and if so, why. Or conversely, why you don't like it.

On a side note, I attended a Graphical User Interface presentation on emotional response to applications; a big, BIG part of user experience can boil down to whether someone likes what they see. They often first decide that and then backfit it with logical reasons to justify their initial response. Interesting ...

Anyway ...
    GB

My Site

Okay, but if that's true, then why bother with critique?

I think that people will almost instantly either "like" or "dislike" a photo, as simple as instinct. And there really isn't anything wrong with that, our instincts are trained and influenced by us, and they're actually a lot more intelligent than many give credit for.

Point being, "back fitting with logical reasons to justify" has a sort of a sinister insinuation to it, I think its really something more genuine and sincere. I think this "back fitting" is just the reflective examination of ones instincts. Its not spin.

We don't get better by avoiding instincts, we get better learning and developing on our instincts.

Sorry GB, the 2nd one is the only one I could look at without getting a headache and hence why i didn't comment. lol. Just couldn't look at them. not good for my eyes.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Okay, but if that's true, then why bother with critique?

I think that people will almost instantly either "like" or "dislike" a photo, as simple as instinct. And there really isn't anything wrong with that, our instincts are trained and influenced by us, and they're actually a lot more intelligent than many give credit for.

Point being, "back fitting with logical reasons to justify" has a sort of a sinister insinuation to it, I think its really something more genuine and sincere. I think this "back fitting" is just the reflective examination of ones instincts. Its not spin.

We don't get better by avoiding instincts, we get better learning and developing on our instincts.
    Didn't mean to add a sinister insinuation, and there's still reason for critique. What I meant to say was there is nothing wrong with starting with I like it or I don't like it and then analyzing from there why you made that decision. Hence, you are correct on your instincts comment.

Common sense stuff, like are things lined up, subject in frame, horizon straight, etc., are good, but a pic having all that simply makes it technically correct, but doesn't really mean it's emotionally stimulating. Maybe that's why it's harder to critique abstracts (?).

My Site

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs
    Sorry GB, the 2nd one is the only one I could look at without getting a headache and hence why i didn't comment. lol. Just couldn't look at them. not good for my eyes.
    Liban - I certainly agree. I can't really look at #2 without it getting to me either. Word is on the street that it was used as part of the enhanced interrogations rigamarole in Guantanamo Bay (well ... maybe it should have been).

Just experimenting, knowing that these outputs are low-probability hits. What do you do with a sign like that? It's neat in a retro sort of way, but too plain as is .. Maybe it's good collage material?

G

My Site

I consider this an experiment, as such I guess you are trying to learn something , but not sure what ...

Thread Information