A garden view

Printable View

• 05-01-2004, 01:47 PM
    photo101
    2 Attachment(s)
    A garden view
    just a couple I took last week from the garden. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Nikon N80, nikkor 50mm 1.8d
    fuji 100
  • 05-02-2004, 08:50 PM
    kkraczek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photo101
    just a couple I took last week from the garden. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Nikon N80, nikkor 50mm 1.8d
    fuji 100

I like them both, but the first one is much sharper and has an interesting, almost 3d, effect. I am just starting out with close up shots... they are not easy! Nicely done. :)
  • 05-03-2004, 06:08 AM
    Wings
    The first shot isn't too bad, but for some reason it didn't caught my eye.

The second one has potential in my opinion, but lacks sharpness in the most important area and the image is too flat.

If you have one, use a tripod and focus manually and keep a good eye on DOF, because it can make or break a macro shot. I do most of macroshots completely manually, both focusing and exposure.

If you have a digital camera, take an extra shot with a wider angle. A shot like that can be useful to play with different crops, to experiment, to train your eye.
    The trick with macro shots is to leave things out..
  • 05-12-2004, 04:34 PM
    SmartWombat
    First shot, I really like it. The way the needles guide your eye back in to the flower is amazing.
    But there are two out of focus needles across that brown flowering part.
    A trim with scissors (cheating I know!) or moving a few inches would improve that immensely.
  • 05-18-2004, 09:32 PM
    photo101
    Thanks for the replies.
  • 05-19-2004, 05:44 AM
    ACArmstrong
    I like the first one alot - lots going on, with very nice composition. The second one - not so much.
  • 05-19-2004, 05:31 PM
    PuckJunkey
    I too like the composition of the first and the detail it provides, but I'd say it's a little flat (due more to the quality of light than the exposure, which is very good).

The second is OK but a little soft IMO. A little judicious cropping here wouldn't hurt either (bottom edge mostly).