Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Owl

tab

Owl

It's been a long, long time since I've posted anything. I like the changes to the site. Here's a picture of an owl (Horned?) I took in my yard. There's a pair that have been hanging out in the neighborhood but I don't get to see them too much when there's enough light out to capture them. D1X, AFS-300mm, ISO 160, SP, f3.3 1/250.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owl-dsc_0045-copy.jpg  

Nice catch!

I think the exposure is pretty much spot-on based on the bright spots on the needles and the nice saturated sky in the background. Composition is also good, though I might've moved Mr. Owl down a tad.

You obviously had a long, fixed focal length lens but I would say try to get a little closer if you can (without spooking the bird) next time. Looks like you may have already done that though since the Owl seems to be looking straight down at you. Either way, I think if he filled more of the frame it would offset the dark nature of where he is perched.

Basically though, it's a near-perfect shot, nature has just done its job too well in regards to the Owl's camo-job.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    THIS IS A MALE GREAT HORNED OWL if taken within last 45 days! he will be within site of his mate(who is on the nest) you have a nest in those conifers! look at the base of any tree within 200 feet of the owl...... white wash(crap) and pellets(fur and bones regurgatated) will be at the base of the roost(where they site) and the nest
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Now THERE's a good photo tip for capturing Owls! I feel kind of stupid now after being followed by that act.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    well i am a bird chaser
    Last edited by paulnj; 03-13-2004 at 05:41 AM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information