Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy Core

Galaxy Core

Damn, focus is a bit off where it should be. Otherwise this would be maybe cool.

Re: Galaxy Core

By the way, I think this is the only photograph I have EVER posted here that has no retouching at all except for sharpening. None.

This is actually really cool, if you stare at it, those grains of salt? really look like stars off in the distance.

Thanks man. Not entirely sure that is salt though. the salt was fairly well constrained in the center of this as far as I remember. Those might be bits of flour. But whatever, they are very soft focused like stars.
    Last edited by daq7; 04-19-2010 at 07:14 AM.

Daq, This looks very nice !

It Really looks like a Galaxy !

how did you get it to look like this ?

again, perfect title for the picture. Looks very cool.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

It is a thin piece of plexiglass suspended between two chairs. It is lit from above and below on the side facing the camera with two canon flash units with light diffusers on them. As I said, no post processing except a bit of sharpening.

This is extremely cool stuff, Daq. this "galaxy" could be in a gallery. Absolutely fantastic, love it.
    Keep at this concept, you have lots of ideas and very interesting ways of pulling them off.
    As for the focus, it could have been a bit more to the forefront but this works perfectly as it is, so who cares.
    Well done, Daq. (i prefer over easy, but this will do)
    Last edited by gahspidy; 04-19-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. April 19, 2010
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

WOW! Thanks. I am honored.

Yes I have a lot of plans for multi-layered versions of this stuff and adding materials to the mix. It is fun.

As for the focus, yes I think it is ok, but I wanted it a bit more clearly on the yolk. I need to work on focusing technique, but it is frankly difficult for me. Probably should figure out a way to do focus bracketing on shots like this.

Congrats on the sticky! - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

D80. 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8. SB 600. DLB1973's Avatar

daq7,
    Really amazing capture! Is the egg partially cooked ?

Thanks DLB. No, it was raw.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Congrats on the sticky Daq! Really well deserved, the thumbnail made me do a double take as I thought at first someone had taken pictures from an old TV spaceship movie and doctored it up. So happily surprised to find your egg. Love the illusion here. Definitely keep exploring new worlds! :thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Thanks CLKunst. It is really nice that people like this. It helps motivate me to keep exploring these techniques. I have always liked this sort of abstract...

Very cool image, I like it!

Congratulations on getting the Featured Photo this week. This is definitely an interesting image. I do confess, I'm not really sure I understand the "why" of it, though. The title helps. But I still can't help wondering what the purpose is. It doesn't quite stand on its own as a complete image for me. I keep wondering if it's a cooking photo, an illustration or maybe just a pure experiment. What were your intentions?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    As for the focus, yes I think it is ok, but I wanted it a bit more clearly on the yolk. I need to work on focusing technique, but it is frankly difficult for me. Probably should figure out a way to do focus bracketing on shots like this.
    Why is the focusing difficult for you? Tell us about your focus technique and maybe we can help.
    Photo-John

John, you might call it an experiment, but it is part of an ongoing technique I intend to explore pretty extensively. There is nothing novel about this, I am sure it has been done to death by others. But it is new for me. I discovered it by accident one night when I ate some piece of meat with a really thick sauce that hardened a bit on the plate and created a cool abstract shape. I posted a photo of that in here under the title "bug".

So I thought it might be fun to put a bunch of stuff on a cutting board, create an abstract and photograph that. I did that and posted it here as well.

This is an abstract on plexiglass lit from above and below. I intend to use a lot of different materials in experiments like this and will probably even construct a framework to hold multiple glass layers to add complexity. The only point is to create abstract photographs that explore color, texture, and lighting using whatever materials I think might look cool.

If you aren't into abstracts you probably won't care for them. But look on the bright side. Every hour spent doing this keeps me from taking self portraits.

Thanks for the explanation. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for expriments. I even made a frame like you describe a few years ago for a collage project I was working on. My only suggestion, based on what you just said, is that you get even more abstract. If it's abstract you want, I think this image is probably too literal and identifiable. That might be why I was confused by it. I don't know if you're interested in some inspiration or not. But ceck out this Cocteau Twins album cover. I always dug it for its abstract creativity: http://www.cocteautwins.com/html/dis...discog_02.html

I think it's metallic paint floating on water.
    Photo-John

GB1

I thought this was a spaceship heading away from the camera at 45 degree angle. Nice work! Nothing like experiments that do work out, but they're all good for learning. I wish I had a workbench or whatever to try stuff like this. Maybe I should convert my garage and park my car outside?

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Hey John, no problem. I like that cover too. Not sure where I want the balance between something recognizeable and abstract. I like the idea of doing weird food shots too, since dining is a big part of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by dave23
    Very cool image, I like it!
    Dave - don't take this personally, please. There really wasn't much critique in this thread and I just happen to be replying to you.

This is a serious photo critique forum and you owe it to the photographer and yourself to put some more thought into your comment. Just saying you like a photo is ok on our other forums, but it doesn't cut it here. This is the one forum where I like to really keep things tight. And like I said, you sell yourself short by not putting in a little more effort. This may not be obvious, but the critique process offers as much or even more benefit to the critic than to the photographer. By taking the time to analyze and articulate your feelings about a photo, you learn a lot about what works and what doesn't. You'll find that the more effort you put into serious criticism, the better your own photos will get. So, I challenge you to make another attempt here and post some real criticism. Tell us why you think this is a cool photo - why you like it. And also tell the photographer what you think he could have done to make it better. That's what photo critique is all about
    Photo-John

I tend to be a bit light on giving critique as well.

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    I tend to be a bit light on giving critique as well.
    Uh oh! Now I'm gonna start keeping an eye on you

Seriously, though. You do yourself a disservice by not putting some effort into it. This forum isn't here so we can pat each other on the back. It exists for serious critique. And I really believe that the critique process is one of the most powerful artistic tools available - of you apply yourself. That's why I periodically get in here and rant a bit about the weak comments. It's because I love you
    Photo-John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information