Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

View Poll Results: Black and White or Color?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Color

2 66.67%
  • Black/White

1 33.33%

Funny Face, BW or Color? How to Improve

Better in Color or BW? What can I improve on this pic? (Granted, I dont know if I'll get that face again... haha). I used the fujifinepix 3800, 3.2 megapixel. I get great detail, but the pics are so large. How can I scale it down (as I did here) but not loose the quality?
    Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

VillenaDeCorte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Funny Face, BW or Color? How to Improve-funnyface.jpg   Funny Face, BW or Color? How to Improve-funnyface-bw.jpg  

Your conversion to gray scale is quite straightforward in my opinion.
    I get your result when I do image/mode/grayscale in Photoshop and nothing else.
    However... using different methods to convert to grayscale (channels is one of them) and using some extra tools like levels or curves makes the final gray scale image look much better. The same story with the colored version; I took that version in Photoshop, opened 'levels' moved the white slider and gamma slightly to the left and the image looked much better. Try it out yourself, most image editing software have some tools that give you these results.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD
    Your conversion to gray scale is quite straightforward in my opinion.
    I get your result when I do image/mode/grayscale in Photoshop and nothing else.
    However... using different methods to convert to grayscale (channels is one of them) and using some extra tools like levels or curves makes the final gray scale image look much better. The same story with the colored version; I took that version in Photoshop, opened 'levels' moved the white slider and gamma slightly to the left and the image looked much better. Try it out yourself, most image editing software have some tools that give you these results.
    Thanks, I do have Photoshop and have played extensively with the levels as well as with the channel mixers and bits. not getting what i want. will take more coffee and time im sure
    would like to see what you did with the pic, if you dont mind.

Thread Information