Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Fruitscoop

Fruitscoop

Running out of ideas for subjects to photograph close-up in my kitchen!!
    There probably isn't a great deal to say on this, perhaps something that should have simply stayed in the kitchen! Any comments greatly welcomed!

Herriot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fruitscoop-1f1000013pr1.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 06-26-2005 at 01:51 PM. Reason: UN Sticking as Featured Photo for 20 June 2005

Re: Fruitscoop

Nah, go for it. Kitchens have lots of rich colors & textures.

For this one, the DOF is a little too shallow. I'd like to see the whole top of the kiwi in focus. Nice colors, though. The green and the orange go well together.

Good job on being creative in a mundane atmosphere. Yeah, I'd also say try to get the DOF a little broader but if not possible I think the image may be more pleasing if the front of the kiwi were more in focus at the sacrifice of focus on the spoon. Good shot either way though!

I agree with the fact that this is very creative and a good topic.

The DOF is to shallow and the only other item to watch on the re-take is the highlight of the fruit by light shinging off the spoon (2 o'clock on the kiwi).

The framing is excellent and I wouldn't change anything around the composition.

Looking forward to the re-shoot
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I agree the dof is a little too shallow. I also would put the kiwi on a different color counter top or whatever it is. It is too close to the color of the kiwi skin in my opinion. cool shot though.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Colorful!

Very colorful photograph!
    The composition is good, I like how you placed the kiwi off center just a tad.
    Very Effective.
    As the others mentioned, the sharpness is a little off.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Colorful!

Pretty much whateverybody else said. The sharpness/DOF is off, but other than that, a great stock photo potential!

Nice idea,

Jared

Ok I'm going to be a little different here. I am normally one to want a lot of DOF and sharpness in a closeup however, I like the shallow depth of field on this subject. The kiwi is a fussy little creature to start with and my first impression was the soft focus/shallow dof just enhanced the subject. I also liked the highkey lighting effect. Very well composed image showing a lot of imagination with a very mundane subject. Nice job.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

GB1

Herriot,

Nice shot, but I also believe the DOF is too shallow. Even though I do really like the way the background is nice and blurred and so colorful.

Since the background blurriness might not be preserved if the DOF was deeper, you might need to compensate by proping/standing up the fruit up from the (nonvisble) bottom side, to move it even farther away from the background. That way, more DOF will still allow a blurred background.

Since this might not make sense above, see the attached sketch. I think it would work
    GB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you all for your comments! I really did not expect this image, or the potential improvements that it opens, to create such a response!! Thank you all very much indeed.

The general consensus is clear, increased DOF would compliment the idea and so I will get to it this evening (you will have to give me a couple of days to post as I shoot on film and will need some time to get the results).

Old Timer, thank you for providing your interesting and contrasting comments, I would be very interested to see what you think once the next image is posted.

Herriot

Herriot,

Congrats on the sticky and featured photo!

First, I'd like to agree that this is a great shot. Like everyone else has already said, it shows a lot of creativity with ordinary objects. I'm generally amused/entertained by these kind of unusual simple photos. It's like making something out of nothing, where a lot of photos are trying to take something and end up with less than the potential of the subject.

Second, am I the only one that thinks this photo is a little on the grainy side? I also could live with the shallow DOF. It draws my eye to the in focus spot where the spoon meets the kiwi. Maybe more DOF would be good, but I think the shalow DOF isn't a big detriment to this photo.

congrats on the featured photo honors!

I love it! I think the DOF is perfect. Any more and you would have lost the abstract feel. The spoon edge and a few seeds are sharp, leave the rest the imagination.

Awesome!

For advertisment point of view your DOF is pretty good... at least for my taste. I think is an excellent composition overall. It appers to me you have shot this with digital camera....

congrats
    "If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough." (Robert Capa)

Great shot. And love the tones!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information