Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Frozen Heat

Frozen Heat

This was taken at a skimboarding contest in southern ventura county, ca. The basic structure of the contest is called a "heat" and at 1000th of a second its pretty well stopped in time. Hence the name. Shot with an old canon FT (made in 1965) with a 200mm fixed (breach mount) lens and velvia 50 film.

Opinionated Newbie

Re: Frozen Heat

I like the concept. However, this photo has some problems. First and foremost is the bushy head of hair in the bottom right hand corner. As long as it is there, this is simply a snapshot.

The shadows and colors are harsh - indicative of the time of day the image was taken I suspect.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

I think that the Velvia really limited your options here. The scene is a bit too contrasted, and there was just nothing you could do about it! For this kind of casual shot, I usually use a Kodak ektachrome 200. This should give you a better dynamic range.

I also have the feeling that something creeped in on the left of the frame. Maybe a vignetting problem? The lens hood?

As for the guy's head in the FG, a better alternative would have been to try to make it sharp as well. At a speed of 1000, you could have increased the aperture a couple of stops. I do not know if this would have been sufficient though.

Cheers,

Steph.

Because it was a crowded contest with many onlookers and quite a few photographers, I thought it would be interesting to have a photographer looking on in the foreground. The "center" of my photograph was not meant to only be the skimmer, but more as the view of an onlooker, encompassing more of the moment as a whole. I thought that the person in the foreground and the person looking past the skimmer out in the water added to the depth of the picture.

The contrast off I will admit. At first I was somewhat disappointed at how the colors changed after being scanned versus how they appeard on the light table. I was in the process of trying to modify the colors to look more natural when I realized how the off-colors added to more of an aged look and even instilled a sense of nostalgia. So, I opted to keep the error.

However, I am sure that in the end I am ultimately biased toward my own photos.

Thread Information