Frosted Thoughts

Printable View

• 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM
    CLKunst
    1 Attachment(s)
    Frosted Thoughts
    I left my glass head, stuck it in a snow pile in frigid temps for a few days. I finally got frost in the head yesterday that's visible from the outside to merit taking photos of.

Comments & critiques welcome suggestions cheerfully explored.

Attachment 92697
  • 02-03-2014, 08:41 AM
    zoelav1221
    Re: Frosted Thoughts
    Very nice shot. The only thing that detracts a bit in the dark and light background. I'm sure you had no choice. Nice photo.
  • 02-03-2014, 09:59 AM
    mattb
    This is cool but I agree about the split background being a little distracting. But only a little. I the frost is cool! (no pun intended)
  • 02-03-2014, 05:13 PM
    CLKunst
    3 Attachment(s)
    Good thoughts I'll look out for with future shots. I knew the split background would draw some critique, but this clear head doesn't give away dimensional detail for the face without some background contrast. While I tried several angles and lighting options, this one seemed the most photo realistic. Here are a few others for comparison with less contrast points in the background.
    Attachment 92708

Attachment 92706

Attachment 92707
  • 02-03-2014, 09:42 PM
    GB1
    Cindy - Decent subject, but a difficult-to-shoot one. I think you did OK giving the circumstances, but the background is a problem in general, preventing it from elevating to classic art status. I like the bottom one in the latest posts, the colors work.

G
  • 02-04-2014, 03:55 AM
    hminx
    I quite like what you have done with the first one I like the dark area projecting through the head, it seems to signify dark or troubled thoughts, and to me the frosting on the forehead also ties in with that concept.
  • 02-04-2014, 09:13 AM
    armando_m
    have you considered lighting with a remote flash ? in an angle that make light seem to come from inside the head ?
  • 02-06-2014, 07:46 AM
    CLKunst
    Thanks for the excellent extra thoughts guys!

GB - I tweaked the heck out of the last one's color temperature and saturation. Knew you'd single it out as one you like. (It's nice when you can anticipate a friend's suggestions isn't it?) I like it too but don't like the angle of the face or the darkness of the background. I really like the profile shot for this idea so will have to try again on another frosty day.

Pete - You hit it on the head. :) I was trying to use the contrasty background to bring a new texture to the head's surface and give it more realistic contour features, but also leave room for some imaginative reinterpretation. Thanks! I see the same darkness as a hairline and I truly wanted it to look like a person who froze to clear ice from standing outside too long.

Armando - Honestly a great suggestion!! I have a fab setup to do that with, I just didn't think of it! I think I was to interested in making it, taking it and getting back inside. (I'm not really much of a cold weather person.) Next time I'll dress warmer and put in the extra time and effort and set up some lighting.
  • 02-27-2014, 03:34 AM
    shaddisi23
    what do u anticipate the boy represents in the Robert frost composition "birches"?