Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Dirt Biker Racing

Any suggestions on action shots appreciated...besides sensor cleaning. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirt Biker Racing-1.jpg   Dirt Biker Racing-2.jpg  
    D700, F-5
    Nikon Lenses: 50 f/1.4 D, 85 f/1.4 D, 17-35 f/2.8 AF-S, 28-105 D, 24-70 f/2.8 G, 80-200 f/2.8 D, 105VR Micro f/2.8 G
    Kenko Pro 300 2x Teleplus

God made it. I just took the picture.

Re: Dirt Biker Racing

#1 is terrific, but it would be better with a darker/more contrasty background and a slightly brighter rider. The lighting fooled your meter a little, but you can adjust that in PS or whatever you have.

#2 is a great moment, but think how much better it would be without the people in the background and the too tight cropping (which I'm guessing you did 'cause of the people.)

HA! Right-on Lava! Jpeg & Raw. When I first downloaded, I said 'Darn, his face is a lil dark.' I kept my eye on the location of the sun. On pic #2, I was sitting on the rock by his left wheels. He came crashing into that rock head-on. As I was jumping back, I caught the first in a series of pics of him...heh, not the way I wanted. A spectator said, "I bet that's gonna be a good photo"...Everyone laughed. The other riders came down to help him off the rock. Then they stayed to help others...UGG. It did go through my mind wishing they would leave, but they didn't. So, I went to another location. They all knew each other, so the original pic was good for them, but for just a rider pic...well, you said it. The crop just doesn't work for me either. Thanks!!
    D700, F-5
    Nikon Lenses: 50 f/1.4 D, 85 f/1.4 D, 17-35 f/2.8 AF-S, 28-105 D, 24-70 f/2.8 G, 80-200 f/2.8 D, 105VR Micro f/2.8 G

For me in the second shot,the spectators would have worked if they hadn't been chopped off and were still part of the image narrative.
    The first shot looks like you caught him just as he stopped, I think these bikes need to be obviously moving, the faster the better, so the shot has some drama.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Thx HM for putting ideas to my mind. It's just a tight crop. Spectators are there in the original. Also, outstanding point you've made...FASTER MOVING, DRAMA. I'll pick another spot with some high speed jumps instead of a hairpin turn where everything slows/stops. However, I would like to know how to slow the shutter down to about 1/125 to capture some blur in the wheels or just pan the shots? I have quite a few riders on the open stretch (used shutter priority to get 2.8), but at 1/2500, it obviously froze everything...but got some great bokeh. Maybe I should have set the camera to S.P. 1/125 or so, forget the bokeh and go with some motion blur and back to higher speeds when they slow for depth. It's usually bright days in the desert. In the youth series, I would get down low to get an even shot, I guess I should use the low approach with the adults, too. I'm usually the nature, portrait, night, party, and race car shooter... Quite new to these short, little, fast as all heck riders ;o)) Always time to learn new things! Big thanks again!!
    D700, F-5

They are some good shots but as said above could be bettered if the movement was captured

Thank you Cihans. I haven't shot 'panning' since the film days of the '80's (race cars). As of late, been volunteering at MC races...indoors and outdoors. Taking pics when I can. THANKS TO ALL for helping me remember panning! PANNING, slow down that shutter, and pick a better location because expectations are different in taking dirt bikes than taking center circle race car pics.
    THANKS again all for helping me remember and realizing the difference!!
    D700, F-5

Thread Information