Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Lightbulb Reelfoot Lake TN Sunrise

This is a Reelfoot sunrise after a stormy night, I just want to know what you think I could have done to improve the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reelfoot Lake TN Sunrise-reelfoot-june-04-sunrise-web.jpg  

i hope you don't mind it's easier to show than to explain...I cropped out the elements that bothered me...I like this shot with a tighter crop because in the original the horizon was almost dead on center and it just cut the shot in half, and although you wer trying to frame the shot with the surrounding trees and such...espcially for something as peaceful a thi scene it detracts from theoveral feel. I might have waited till there was better range ofd colors in the sky and reflected in the water... it a pretty pleasnat shot...keep posting and welcome aboard

any pics from your diving excursions? my husbands always trying to tell me have to get SCUBA certified...but framkly it terrifies me...he says the ocean would be like putting a kid in a candy store for a photographer---still scary...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    i hope you don't mind it's easier to show than to explain...I cropped out the elements that bothered me...I like this shot with a tighter crop because in the original the horizon was almost dead on center and it just cut the shot in half, and although you wer trying to frame the shot with the surrounding trees and such...espcially for something as peaceful a thi scene it detracts from theoveral feel. I might have waited till there was better range ofd colors in the sky and reflected in the water... it a pretty pleasnat shot...keep posting and welcome aboard

any pics from your diving excursions? my husbands always trying to tell me have to get SCUBA certified...but framkly it terrifies me...he says the ocean would be like putting a kid in a candy store for a photographer---still scary...
    No, haven't started tring photos underwater yet, I just kinda enjoy it. I liked what you did with this photo. I love Reelfoot Lake, as it is a wonderful place to take some really good pics.

Here is one that was taken later and I just don't like it as well, it needs something in the foreground. I love the colors in this one though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reelfoot Lake TN Sunrise-sunrise-plain-web.jpg  
    Dive naked things look bigger underwater!!!!!

Seb
    Hello Heath,

I sincerly think that your second picture is wonderful. Some might complain that the trees line is dead on center but cropping the bottom of the pictures would make you loose these great reflections in the water.

I love the effect of these trees coming out straight from water and the fog in the background provide a great enigmatic impact to your picture.

Nice work!

Seb

Reelfoot is such a nice place to play with a camera, you can find lots of interesting stuff, the whole lake is only about 5 foot deep on average, with the deepest spot at 17 foot. It is a huge lake that has tons of trees growing out of the water like in these pictures, it is not just one little spot it is the whole lake. Reelfoot lake was created by an earthquake in 1811-12, it literally made the ground sink about 15 feet, and the Mississippi River flooded back into the new lake. It is a real National treasure that I think is overlooked.
    Dive naked things look bigger underwater!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    I sincerly think that your second picture is wonderful. Some might complain that the trees line is dead on center but cropping the bottom of the pictures would make you loose these great reflections in the water.
    I agree Seb, but it's still worth mentioning. Maybe a crop doesn't do any good this time, but the information (cutting images in half) is still useful for the moments that you have the camera in your hand don't you think?

Natalie, your correction is exactly what I had in mind, needless to say that I also consider that crop much better.

Seb
    [QUOTE=Elysian]I agree Seb, but it's still worth mentioning. Maybe a crop doesn't do any good this time, but the information (cutting images in half) is still useful for the moments that you have the camera in your hand don't you think?

Hello Elysian.

The information definately is useful which is why I talked to Heath about not centering is subject on some of is others pictures.

Regards

Seb

Interesting

It's very interesting to see what a big difference a crop can make. The original image and Natalie's crop make it seem like completely different places.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information