Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

One more for your opinion..Reelfoot Lake Lotus

This is turning into one of my favorite pictures that I took on my trip to Reelfoot. This is raw and uneditied. I think it works just how it is tell me what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One more for your opinion..Reelfoot Lake Lotus-lotus-web.jpg  

Looks good, but I'm not so fond of some of these bright leafs, they're distracting.

You know what would have made this image great; something that doesn't follow the pattern of leafs. Patterns are great, but somethings that breaks that pattern is even more interesting. About 99 (just any high number) of this and 1 of that, that's what I mean with "breaking".

How about posting some of your photography JoeD?
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    How about posting some of your photography JoeD?
    This is the photo critque section. I offer my help and yes, I'm straightfoward but honest.

Everybody who reads my comments on images can decide on his own if I know something about photography or not, so stop this highschool ******** by asking me to show my work.

a) it's off topic
    b) you didn't comment on the image in this thread
    c) you have an option to page members
    d) none of my work is on the internet and will never be on the internet, simply because I consider the internet one big candy store without a lock.

Critques should be much more be appreciated by people like you. It's all about sacrafising spare time to help someone out. But then again, that's something you don't understand, since you're not used to offer any critque in this particular forum, other than dropping an immature comment like this.

Or maybe you're thinking about a new rule.

"ONLY ALLOWED TO COMMENT WHEN YOU SHOW SOMETHING OF YOUR OWN"

(btw, don't come up with the fake arguments, saying that you were just interesting in my work after, in your eyes, "pro" comments, that doesn't work with me anymore after all these years).

My my, why so defensive? All I asked is "how about posting some of your photography."

I'm a moderator here who will soon be shooting photography. I am learning from what I read and view. How am I to know your critique is good if I never see any photography that you have posted?

Everybody who reads my comments on images can decide on his own if I know something about photography or not, so stop this highschool ******** by asking me to show my work.

(btw, don't come up with the fake arguments, saying that you were just interesting in my work after, in your eyes, "pro" comments, that doesn't work with me anymore after all these years).

Back to the rude remarks. Too bad.
    Lara

BTW, apologies to GoDive30. There was no intention by me to ruin this thread.
    Lara

webelo

I like it

I like your picture. That's it. I like it. It is pleasing to my eyes.

As for the other mess in this thread. I think we walk a very fine line in forums such as this. Most of the critiques I've seen here are pretty helpful. That said, they tend to be heavy on technique (lighting,dof, exposure level etc.).

Photography is art, and as such very subjective. A picture works because it does. We can sometimes get caught up in all the technical aspects of this craft and lose our own (no pun intended) focus. There is no formula which you can apply to a scene and come up with a great (or even good) picture.

I'm reminded of what my dad used to tell my brother in little league: To hit you have to keep your eyes on the ball, your elbows up, your head down, the bat level your knees bent and remember to follow through. And if, at the moment the pitch comes, you are concentrating on any of these things, you will miss the ball.

Technical knowledge of your camera is important but it's not the end all. Surely no one would have praised Jackson Pollack for the textbook brush strokes he used but he certainly didn't lack for admirers.

Lara, you're sayin "How am I to know your critique is good if I never see any photography that you have posted?"

And she calls ME rude...

How do you think every commenting member (beginner, amateur or pro) feels after a such a comment... ... did you ever thought of that... do you know what kind of damage you can cause with that comment?

I'm in total awe after that comment... but then again, it sure gives my words in my earlier post much more weight.

And btw, you've posted 3 times off topic in this thread. Shouldn't you be so polite to at least comment on this image or is it because we can't decide whether your critique is good...

And something else; even if a member has a gallery to show, how do you know that these photographs are any good? You even admitted that you're still learning.

Sorry to say so, but you really don't make any sense!

My comment on this photo, as someone who is not yet a photographer, so it should be taken as a viewpoint from someone LEARNING....
    I think the shot is lovely. I like it very much.
    The only question I would ask is, can the brightness of the leaf in the top left quadrant that is being hit by the sun be adjusted a bit? What do you think GoDive30?

"You're sayin "How am I to know your critique is good if I never see any photography that you have posted?"

If that came across as rude, I apologize. It wasn't meant that way. I look at our members photos and glean from them how to shoot photos. It's my way of learning. You choose not to post any photos here, that's your choice. I like to learn from visuals.

All of this nonsense because I asked how about posting some photos?
    Lara

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Lighten up, Joe...

Joe,

It's obvious from your comments on this site so far you know what you're talking about when it comes to photography. Unfortunately, your mindreading skills leave a LOT to be desired...

Being honest in these forums is fine. Being opinionated is fine. Even confronting someone and disagreeing with them in an emotional manner is fine. It's all part of the integrity of the community we've created here and we encourage it...

But in the short time you've been a member, you've shown us that you are incredibly quick to jump to wild assumptions and conclusions from what are often innocent remarks from other members. You do it by putting words in other people's mouths...

I'll admit, Lara asking you to show some of your work was oddly vague in the context of this thread and perhaps open to interpretation. But, instead of flying off the handle and concocting a ridiculously defensive poison pen list of why you think she's being mean spirited and confrontational (she wasn't), you probably should have taken a few moments to read some of her other posts to maybe get a bead on her personality and temperament.

THAT would be a much more accurate gauge of her motives...

If you had, you would quickly discover that Lara is one of the most considerate and supportive members we have. No, she is not an experienced photographer, but her contributions to this site as a moderator come from other areas just as important and valuable.

The bottom line is there is NO WAY anyone could honestly conclude the things you did about Lara's short comment, and being so defensive only make you look petty and insecure. Wouldn't it have made better sense to simply ASK her what she meant instead of TELLING her what she meant?

Look Joe, we appreciate the contributions you're making to this site, but being rude and abrasive with the moderators is not only uncalled for, but something that won't be tolerated for very long. Let's just leave that at that...

BTW, you probably didn't know this, but as a moderator, Lara can post off topic comments wherever and whenever she damn well pleases. Membership has its privileges...

Have a good weekend and keep posting!
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

This thread is a good example of "You made mistakes, now we mark you "bad guy".
    Get of my back guys and let me continue to help people with photography and stop with that "let's go after the bad guy attitude in public".

One of the forum's guidelines says: "give back as much as you receive". They only thing I do is "give", no strings attached. How many can say this? So next time think about that, before you use the past to continue to attack me.

To Sara I want to say; make a sticky with a Hotmail E-mail address of some kind, so that people who comment can mail you with some photographs, that also include shots of the original negatives. This way you'll know which comments are good or not, wadda ya think?

And btw Steve, good moderators only post off topic, if their intention is to moderate the board, hence the word moderator

This topic for me is closed.

Help, my thread has been HIJACKED...ROFL, I am only joking guys. But I would love to keep things civil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GoDive30; 06-12-2004 at 02:02 PM.
    Dive naked things look bigger underwater!!!!!

Thank you for the pm's Heath. Good luck with the Fuji Let's hope the Canon works out as well for me. Keep posting those photos. I hope to learn quickly enough to post some of my own soon.
    Lara

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Post Let's Just....

Let's just keep things as civil as possible around here....
    I think we can all do without this back and forth arguing and what not....

I don't know Lara or her photography, but I think her intentions were well meant, and I believe she is a valuable member of this community and has a lot to contribute to here as well, just like you JoeD.

You do give fairly constructive comments, but they can be taken the wrong way, especially to someone new to this forum and or photography.

It would be great to see some of your photography, in my opinion, it gives further credibility to someone comments.

Anyway... Let's get back to what this forum is about... Critiquing and learning what makes good photographs...

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

GoDive30,
    I like the image but feel the blown out highlights, especially the leaf in the upper part of the frame, is distracting. Editing might help this small negative. Otherwise, I like it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Gee image what this would have been like if I got involved.

Thread Information