Forgiveness

Printable View

• 08-03-2016, 05:15 PM
    Herriot
    1 Attachment(s)
    Forgiveness
    Taken earlier in the year in the Pampanga region of the Philippines where the self-flagellation procession is followed by a 100m crawl to the shrine while onlookers use palm stalks to beat devotees before they are absolved of their sins.

Any thoughts would be greatly welcomed!
    Many thanks
    Herriot
  • 08-08-2016, 04:10 PM
    ksbryan0
    Re: Forgiveness
    I've heard of this and read about it, pretty sure it isn't something I want to see in person! While your photo certainly captured the fellow on the ground well, I feel like more context would be helpful and might have been there in a wider angle shot. More of the palm stalk the guy on the right is holding and then maybe inclusive of the guy belonging to the shadow that looks ready to strike. Otherwise, crisply captured!
  • 08-08-2016, 09:32 PM
    Herriot
    1 Attachment(s)
    Many thanks for your feedback, would this help with the context you're describing?

Many thanks again,
    Best regards
    Herriot
  • 08-09-2016, 06:05 PM
    GB1
    It's a decent shot here of the aftermath of this nasty little custom, although it does require explanation. Any additional context would be even more painful to observe, but if you had photos of one of them on fire, or smoking from recent burning, that would be even more terrible errr enlightening.

I think I'll stick to McDonalds and American Football, btw.
  • 08-11-2016, 01:06 PM
    ksbryan0
    Well, yeah, I guess that puts it all in context Herriot! Greg, order me a Big Mac with fries, and let's watch the game ;)
  • 08-19-2016, 07:54 PM
    Herriot
    Thanks both, I am merely a spectator, hope there's room for three to watch the game!
  • 08-23-2016, 03:12 AM
    readingr
    Herriot,

I think this needs a triptych to give the context, so that we something of the church (or shrine...) the ceremony which is the latest and the aftermath of the ceremony.

Hope that makes sense.

Roger
  • 09-29-2017, 10:00 PM
    Roshni
    But this is something very strange as the person gets injured.
  • 11-10-2018, 08:31 AM
    Tommy_C
    These photos perfectly convey the atmosphere!
  • 01-17-2019, 12:46 PM
    Marinad
    im agree with you!