Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Philmont Ranger

Forgotten Memorial

Washington DC is a city of memorials. This is just one of the many forgotten ones as people concentrate on the war memorials, lincoln, and jefferson.

Attached Images Attached Images

Bit too much sky I think. I don't know what's to the left or right of the area shown, but if you walk around it you may find this shot could work as a horizontal. Also, once the leaves come I wouldn't mind seeing how it looks in color at sunset. Keep us posted.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I like this shot alot as it is. I think it is a bit dark but ok. This has an eerie, haunting, mysterious quality to it, which may not have been what you were trying for, but is here and it works for me as I like that sort of thing. I like the angle of the shot, and the perspective. Might have liked a slightly wider angle view to show more of the tree on the left. Good
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Philmont Ranger

Pic

Once I saw how the picture came out (i use negative film for now, but don't print - just scan the negs) i decided to go with the darker feel by bumpingup the contrast and darkening the shot. A wider angle lens would be nice, but i make do with what I have. When I took the shot I wanted to pull the memorial out of the pic, so i used 28 mm (of a 28-80 lens) and moved out till it would cease "jumping" out. ::click::

Since this is getting to be incoherent i'll go back to the "gloom" nature of the pic. I went for it b/c:
    1. This is a war memorial for DC soldiers. War is always a dark subject.
    2. It was surrounded by the leafless (lifeless) trees and the leaves on the ground.
    3. The look of the memorial reminds me of an entrance to a crypt.

Quote Originally Posted by sabraunlich
    Once I saw how the picture came out (i use negative film for now, but don't print - just scan the negs) i decided to go with the darker feel by bumpingup the contrast and darkening the shot. A wider angle lens would be nice, but i make do with what I have. When I took the shot I wanted to pull the memorial out of the pic, so i used 28 mm (of a 28-80 lens) and moved out till it would cease "jumping" out. ::click::

Since this is getting to be incoherent i'll go back to the "gloom" nature of the pic. I went for it b/c:
    1. This is a war memorial for DC soldiers. War is always a dark subject.
    2. It was surrounded by the leafless (lifeless) trees and the leaves on the ground.
    3. The look of the memorial reminds me of an entrance to a crypt.

You did a fine job getting it to jump out as you say. Thats how I feel about it.. By the way, I use the same process. I scan my negatives with my Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. I don't get prints, just process the negs which only cost about 2-3 bucks depending where you go.
    This photo is very interesting invoking lots of mood and thought. Bravo . . .I would love to see this pic as a large print.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information