Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Beautiful Khampa Tibetan Womens' costumes #6

Some more of the pics I took at Litang, and as always also refer to my explanation of the Khampas' costume culture below if you'd like to know more...!

Explanation - about these costumes:

These costumes are the most ceremonial in all of Tibet, and have a much greater importance to the Khampa people than we might ever suspect.

The value of these costumes are anywhere from several tens or hundreds of thousands of u.s. dollars, to many millions (it may not surprise you that there is a big military presence at the festivals, because there are such expensive costumes on display). precious metals and stones are the main store of wealth for these nomadic people, because families must frequently move with changing seasons, and an easily transported form of wealth is necessary. this culture goes back millenia, archeological finds from the 1st century AD in the khampa area unearthed ornaments that are essentially the same in design and materials as todays are. these costumes and ornaments are passed down from generation to generation inside the family. so the ornaments also have great emotional value as they are the remnants of decades and centuries of ancestors

While Khampa tibetans have little fondness for what they consider the invasion and occupation of their country by the chinese, and the suppression of their freedom to religious and cultural practices, this costume culture has seen a resurgence in recent years. this is because tibet, like the rest of china has seen much economic growth during the last 10 or 20 years. while a lot of this money goes to chinese immigrants, and amougnst many tibetans there is still extensive poverty and need for all aspects of development from food and water, to health and education, there is a growing upper and middle class of tibetans who are gaining money. well-off khampas today, like their ancestors, continue to invest much of their wealth in the form of jewelry and ornaments, in part because these items increase in value over time, in part to preserve their old culture, and in part because the costumes bring social prestige. at the litang horse racing fesival, the costumes are a significant sideshow, drawing attention from both normal tibetans, and travelling photographers and tourists alike

GB1

Re: Beautiful Khampa Tibetan Womens' costumes #6

Feeline - Decent shots, good writeup. The top shot may be oversaturated. I like the second shot the best, as the exposure of her seems almost spot on (pehaps 1/3 f stop dark), but there are a lot of people behind her that prevent it from being Nat. Geo quality or such. The bottom shot is OK but also has a slightly busy background.

Good writeup. Captions add a lot to photo journalistic type shots. That part of the world has a lot of tradition for sure.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

thank you for for the critique :thumbsup:

i have posted a bunch of threads previous with more photos of these beautiiful costumes - I've been to the Litang festival on 3 different years and have a bunch of photos from each time. they are further down in this forum, if you haven't seen them, would much appreciate critique there also

Was denkst du, ist die Wahrscheinlichkeit, dem potenzproblem nicht zu begegnen? Ich dachte, ich würde es nie tun, aber ich habe mich geirrt. Immer noch ist das Alter ein Alter. Danke an meine Frau für Ihr Verständnis und das Medikament https://apothekeschweizer.de/ für Wirksamkeit und Qualität

Thread Information