Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Pencilgrass

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Pencilgrass

Ok, so now we dig into my real hobby, concert photography. Here is a band from Hartford Connecticut called Pencilgrass performing their song "Soul Train Champion".
    Your comments if you please. Hand held with available theater lighting ISO 3200 and contantly adjusted white balance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pencilgrass-pencilgrass.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

GB1

Re: Pencilgrass

I like the guy on the left but the other fellow in the foreground is too dark and just blocks the otehr guy. But good job considering it was handheld - and there doesnt even seem to be much grain either!

Wild colors too

GB

Hi CLK,

This is a nice show of color and stage happenings. I like that none of the people have "poser" poses. I like the guy wielding a beer and not his axe. For ISO 3200, they come out nice with not much noise.

However, I also agree with GB that the front guy detracts. Do you have any other shots at this angle?

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Thanks for the input GB and Old School. Yes, he wasn't originally supposed to be in the shot; leapt right out of his chair like he had been stung by a bee. But the colors and the energy keep bringing me back to this one. Here are three more from the same angle (things happen fast in the dark). The first two are immediately succesive to the original image. The second is from roughly the same angle with a fish eye lens. Better? Worse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pencilgrass-pencilgrass-2.jpg   Pencilgrass-pencilgrass-3.jpg   Pencilgrass-pencilgrass-4.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Great expressions in that 2nd shot! Very nice focus for handheld (at low shutter I suppose).

The fisheye is Ok, but would be improved if you could move more centered (take a camera to the mosh-pit?). It does look like a fun band with horn & rythem sections along with a leaping keyboardist pounding out on an old Hammon (I think) with hopefully Leslie speakers.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information