Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Fish with stormy sunset

If the title made you curious, imagine what I thought when I came to the beach unsure of what I might see (doubting if I would even get a sunset), and found this. The tide was high and all the other interesting features were gone, so I was automatically attracted. My critique is that I believe I could have done better with less issues from my well used ND filter (preparing to get new soon..). I want the colors to be better on the second one, affected by the longer exposure. The first has most accurate colors.

My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Re: Fish with stormy sunset

I think the sunset may have been spectacular. You never know with these things, I think a little farther along and some of the bottoms of the clouds may have received some light. As for your foreground subject: yuck. The foreground subject really draws my attention from the sunset. Like I said the sunset may have been spectacular, but the foreground subject kind of ruins any chance of enjoyment for me. Technically, the photo is in sharp focus, I think you could have used a stronger ND filter, I find the foreground a little dark and the sky a little bright. I use a lot of HDR, and routinely underexpose by 4 stops to capture the spectacular sky, and overexpose by the same to capture the most detail I can get in the foreground.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I agree it's not the most appealing to look at for everyone, but on the other hand I was just informed by a local native elder friend of mine that design is a charm.

I also agree about the stronger ND filter. This was ND4, and I used to have a range of them until they disappeared from my last backpacking trip of the summer. I would have preferred an ND6 probably.

I used to do a lot of HDR and became very good at it, but dropped it when I got filters a year ago in interest of changing style and saving time.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

It is definitely a unique composition! I would be tempted to take your image and create a couple virtual copies (if you use LR) with +2 an -2 EV and play around with some HDR processing. Bringing more light on your foreground subject is critical to make this scene work. I'm also seeing a greenish cast on the foreground, and correcting for that would be helpful.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Thread Information