Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Some New Shots

Some New Shots

Went to a butterfly conservatory today, full sun, no clouds, and they were VERY active and hard to get shots. What do you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some New Shots-bf1.jpg   Some New Shots-bf2.jpg   Some New Shots-bf3.jpg   Some New Shots-ylwflwr1comp.jpg  

Re: Some New Shots

Great shots here. The one small thing in the second one is that it seems just a tad too bright on my monitor. And on the third one, with the butterfly being all yellow, it's hard to distinguish the two wings from each other. Other then that, great shots and excellent colors.

Jared

Great shots. I really have nothing to say to improve them. maybe a tad bit of sharpness in some, but then again the softness really adds to the feel of the shots.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I love the brilliant colors of the first shot, there is a nasty little leaf in the say on the second - but that is the way of nature, they don't always pose to suit us -- great shots! Keep up the good work!
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGimp
    Went to a butterfly conservatory today, full sun, no clouds, and they were VERY active and hard to get shots. What do you think!
    You're not from Tucson, are you? Wifey, daughter, daughter's friend, and I went to a butterfly exhibit at the botanical gardens in Tucson.....

Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    You're not from Tucson, are you? Wifey, daughter, daughter's friend, and I went to a butterfly exhibit at the botanical gardens in Tucson.....
    No, southern Ontario, just a wee bit further than tucson!

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

All very beautiful shots! The texture of the yellow flower is awesome.

Scott

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Difficult to do, itn't it?
    I spent years chasing butterflies around as a teenager, getting the occarional good shot.

#1 the left wing is just going out of the DoF. Because of the flat light, I couldn't tell whether it was in front or bahind, looks like the wings are angled down slightly.

#2 would be gorgeous, but the leaves in front of the butterfly spoil it. I find it's so hard to get a moving butterfly in the frame, and in focus, without worrying about what else is in the frame. I think "stuff" in the way was my prime problem when I was shooting insects.

#3 again I think is a little soft on the left, and again there's a leaf int he shot. This one thought he soft focus on the leaf doesn't detract as much form the shot.
    I disagree with jared's comment, the forewing/hindwing is nicely defined, with that darker yellow towards the root of on the forewing. I suppose it helps that I spent so long phototraphing butterflies and moths, I know what I'm looking for

#4 I think it's great. It looks a little soft on my monitor, I reclon with unsharp mask there may be more texture yet in that image.

You've done well against nature with those butterfly images, it'd take me a week tramping around the woodland and meadows to get a shot sometimes !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

learning member

Beautiful shots ,

The second one , i think the leaves in front is a bit distracting , but seeing that these little ones are very difficult to capture !
    I like the third ( yellow butterfly ) the most .

Regards
    james

Thread Information