Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Senile Member

I'm Baaaaaaaacccccck!

Hi, all I'm back after a fantastic vacation I've got some pictures to share but I'll start with this one of the Basilica du Notre Dame in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I found the province on the whole to be chock-a-block with churches and enjoyed visiting and shooting some of them.

Give me your thoughs on my representation please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm Baaaaaaaacccccck!-dsc_0197.jpg  

Re: I'm Baaaaaaaacccccck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bajan
    Hi, all I'm back after a fantastic vacation I've got some pictures to share but I'll start with this one of the Basilica du Notre Dame in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I found the province on the whole to be chock-a-block with churches and enjoyed visiting and shooting some of them.

Give me your thoughs on my representation please.
    This image is wonderous. It's massive. Very well framed and the colors are absolutely brilliant. It's a little tilted to the right, but I'm not sure that matters. What did you used to take this image? What was the exposure?

Very nice.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Beautiful colours! Agreed with Almo about the tilt. Nice shot!
    yoyo

Sorry guy's, but for me this is a case of "great subject, ordinary photo". I'm irked by the top being cut of the pointy thing in the middle. There's also a disturbing imbalance caused by the camera angle. I feel some aggressive cropping and straightening is needed. The colours are awesome and it looks like a moving place to visit.

Greg

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Well, I have to agree with everyone on this.
    It is a great photo because of the wonderful colors and the grand scale of the subject - it is bursting out of the frame. Cathedrals are very hard to do because of the size and it looks like you did not have a wide angle. You just can't capture all of it.
    However, I have to agree with Doc that the spire should not be cut off. Also the angle of the photo is probably the most distracting aspect. It causes a tilt to the picture that is very noticeable.
    I think a vertical composition would have been stronger and easier to manage on this subject, but as I said before when your in a place like this it is hard to find a angle and subject to concentrate on. I think you did a good job and the strong points of the photo make it a definite keeper.
    Cheers.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

DJM

It must really stink to go somewhere and have a photo opportunity and wonder if you botched it due to angles, chopped structure or otherwise. Don't worry, you have a first place ribbon! I agree that I would have liked to have seen the creshendo of the structure, but I'm taken by the magnitude just the same. I love the tilt as I feel it most always ads drama. Great job!!!

Immediate preview of a shot has to be the greatest aspect of digital photography. Back in the bad old days when you had to wait weeks before you saw the result I often discovered I'd missed great shots through bad framing. I have always tried to err on the side of having too much in the frame, it's easy to cut junk out with croping and impossible to put it back in when you didn't capture it. As I said though, I think shifting the focus from the hieght to width by cropping down and making the photo about the row, of what I assume is Saints, would allow the angle to be straightened and symetry restored. The exposure and focus are spot on, so it's the kind of image that has so much detail you could probably crop multiple different images aout of it.

Greg

Senile Member

Almo:

thanks for the note and sorry for the slow reply. I shot the image below with a Nikon D100 with a Vivitar 19-35mm lens. it was shot at ISO 200, focal length 20mm and exposed for 1/2 sec, tripod mounted.

To all:

While I realize the compostion is not the best I wanted to capture the awesomeness of the Basilica, I had only a short time and also had to compete with about 1000 tourist often with flash going off and ruining my shot or walking thru my exposure. Believe me it was rather trying and I had to restrain myself from using some ungentlemanly words in the house of God.

Well for what its worth here is another shot. Thanks for the kudos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm Baaaaaaaacccccck!-dsc_0185.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bajan
    Almo:

thanks for the note and sorry for the slow reply. I shot the image below with a Nikon D100 with a Vivitar 19-35mm lens. it was shot at ISO 200, focal length 20mm and exposed for 1/2 sec, tripod mounted.

Well for what its worth here is another shot. Thanks for the kudos
    I am digging the recrop, but you seem somehow to have lost the puch in the cloros that the former image had. I really detracts from the image as a whole for me becasue the colors are what struck me first off. However I would have to say this is a great shot for a vivi-lens.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Senile Member

Agreed, I like the original posting better also, for all its imperfections the color is absolutely stunning.

Liz

Talking Welcome Baaaaaaaacccccck!

Welcome back - glad you enjoyed your vacation.........and I look forward to seeing more photos. Great shot.

BTW - don't forget you posted in Critique - where we assume you want feedback on the image itself - and how to improve your photography, etc.

If you want to just "share" your vacation shots, you can post them in Viewfinder - it's like the livingroom chat room. ;)

Either place, please post some more.

Liz

GB1

Incredible place. I love the colors and sharpness of the photo. I somehow want more though.. I wish you had a fisheye lens to get even more of everything in the frame! The composition is fine but I wonder how it would have looked if you had centered it? Maybe better, but maybe too symmetrical also.

The blues are incredible here, and they complement the yellows very nicely.

Senile Member

A fisheye would have been great instead of a 28mm equiv and less tourist and more time. Here is another rendition for your viewing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm Baaaaaaaacccccck!-dsc_0228.jpg   I'm Baaaaaaaacccccck!-dsc_0217.jpg   I'm Baaaaaaaacccccck!-dsc_0209.jpg  
    Last edited by Bajan; 08-03-2005 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information