Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First post in Critique forum in a long time...

I usually post over in Viewfinder but have shot a couple of photos recently that I'd like to throw out there and ask for opinions.

Here's a photo of an airplane that just took off from the airport that I work at. I shoot with a Canon 1D, Canon 75-300 USM IS, Shutter priority 1/125, spot metered, 300mm (effective 390mm with 1.3x) at ISO 100, RAW. Having shot RAW, I can adjust the exposure and lighten the image up a lot, but I kind of like this and was wondering if it worked for anyone else. What do you all think?

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Works For Me

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    I usually post over in Viewfinder but have shot a couple of photos recently that I'd like to throw out there and ask for opinions.

Here's a photo of an airplane that just took off from the airport that I work at. I shoot with a Canon 1D, Canon 75-300 USM IS, Shutter priority 1/125, spot metered, 300mm (effective 390mm with 1.3x) at ISO 100, RAW. Having shot RAW, I can adjust the exposure and lighten the image up a lot, but I kind of like this and was wondering if it worked for anyone else. What do you all think?

Maybe because I'm an airplane buff. But photographically, it appeals to me as well.

As for the post processing, how much can you do with the raw file? Can you do the equivalent of opening up one stop?

Maybe you can to do some experiments with backlit subjects. Shoot them at metered value and adjust them digitally, and shoot them with some exposure compensation dialed in and compare the images. (As if you don't have enough to do!)

It's funny in a way, but the photo magazines (Outdoor Photography in particular) seem to have gone from film vs digital, to shooting Raw vs Jpeg. I don't have any experience with shooting Raw files, but it sounds to me like post-proccessing is part of the process. Better you than me buddy! :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Stop adjusted 1.2

The program I'm using to tweak the files, Breezebrowser, will allow me to adjust the exposure +/- 2 stops.

That's a good idea to compare by shooting an image at several settings, but use a "base" image and adjust it in the software and see how they compare. I'll have to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Maybe because I'm an airplane buff. But photographically, it appeals to me as well.

As for the post processing, how much can you do with the raw file? Can you do the equivalent of opening up one stop?

Maybe you can to do some experiments with backlit subjects. Shoot them at metered value and adjust them digitally, and shoot them with some exposure compensation dialed in and compare the images. (As if you don't have enough to do!)

It's funny in a way, but the photo magazines (Outdoor Photography in particular) seem to have gone from film vs digital, to shooting Raw vs Jpeg. I don't have any experience with shooting Raw files, but it sounds to me like post-proccessing is part of the process. Better you than me buddy! :-)
    Last edited by I_Fly; 02-26-2004 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to insert image
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Thread Information