Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Waiting for spring...

We're in that ugly "everything is grey" phase here in Northern Illinois. The sky, the leftover snow, the roads (from leftover salt), the grass (where it was killed by salt)... So in keeping with my "Pretending to be working" title, I stopped at a rest area the other day on the way back from a meeting. I've noticed this creek before and think I'll head back there when there are some leaves or fall color - I liked the circle formed by the branches and their reflection in the creek. Also noticed some buds on the trees. Trying to make the most of monochromatic scenery, any comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I like this. I think it is a good picture. Should be real nice when leaves start sprouting.

jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

I like them both

The 2nd shot is very nice - simple, uncluttered, wonderful use of dof. And I like the soft colors. Good background. Whenever I try to shoot branches I can't seem to find a nice clean background. My husband was looking over my shoulder and he declared this photo to be "brilliant."

The first shot I like a lot too because of the way the trees frame the river, and are reflected in it. And I like the way the ice has zig zag patterns in it, that draws my eye up and down the stream.

Good work.

Spike

Thanks to both of you. The second shot is actually a good example of bad bokeh too! I took both with my Nikon 50 f1.4 which is known for this - bokeh refers to the out-of-focus highlights, and they look kind of harsh (out of focus but have well defined edges). In this case it was at f2.8 I think (maybe f4) and focused close to the minimum.

Mostly Grey...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    We're in that ugly "everything is grey" phase here in Northern Illinois. The sky, the leftover snow, the roads (from leftover salt), the grass (where it was killed by salt)... So in keeping with my "Pretending to be working" title, I stopped at a rest area the other day on the way back from a meeting. I've noticed this creek before and think I'll head back there when there are some leaves or fall color - I liked the circle formed by the branches and their reflection in the creek. Also noticed some buds on the trees. Trying to make the most of monochromatic scenery, any comments?
    ...but the willow bushes are turning yellow and red. Muddy March can't be far behind (in Southern Wisconsin)

February / March in N. Illinois...

....I feel your pain. Lousy place to be a photographer this time of year.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information