Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    DMG

First Post. (Beginner) Excited to learn, make mistakes and share!

Thank you for taking the time out to view this. Critiques and comments welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Post. (Beginner) Excited to learn, make mistakes and share!-cardinal.jpg  

Re: First Post. (Beginner) Excited to learn, make mistakes and share!

Welcome. Please post more.

I am not a beginner and have utterly failed to every get a good, clear, shot of a cardinal. Yours is good.

It's not uncommon for someone to get interested in photography and fall in love with selective coloring. It's more of a short term infatuation, though, and more veteran photogs tend to fall out of love with it. The thing is that it doesn't make up for an otherwise boring photo. The "treatment" becomes more interesting than the subject.

Of course, if you are going to use selective coloring, this is a good subject for it. I would love to see some more of what you are doing.

Also, than you for contributing to the critiques for others.

DMG

Thank you so much for taking the time out to post a response It's true what you said about selective coloring. Really I did it for this photo because my father loves cardinals and black and white images. Just decided to give him both. Though it can be interesting, it's not something I see myself dedicating too much time into. I want to learn to make my images stand out with out it, of course Anyways, I'm looking forward to posting more and seeing what you think. Anything helps!

Thanks again!

Welcome DMG, nice first up post. As you have made this a selective colour post I assume your P.P. skills should be up to cloning out those small twigs next to the bird especially the one that sticks up from its back. Keeping the area immediately around your subject clear will help the image IMO. Had the whole image been B & W the bird would not have stood out nearly as well, but I suspect the green OOF background would have contrasted nicely had this been a full colour image.
    I also noticed a bit of yellow fringing on the tail and at the back of the head , should this be there ?
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

DMG

Hello there! Thank you for your post.

You certainly brought some things to my attention that I ordinarily wouldn't have looked out for, such as the area around the subject (bird). Also I did notice the yellow, I have to go back and touch that up. I'm teaching myself as far as post processing images. So much to learn still. So thank you.

Thread Information