Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Film Noir---a portrait

I really don't know how exactly I feel about this or the fact that no skill went into it except setting self mode on manual and being in the wrong position (having such training was exhausting to achieve-I assure you) but I think it was a happy mistake and I grow fonder and fonder of it the more I look at it. this is one of three out 45(ugh) that "turned out"

Thanks for baring with yet another self portrait and yet another half cut face...and some more scary make-up fun
    love it? hate it? what was I thinking? etc all comments welcome

Post processing-dodged some spots(2) on the nose and cheek (jaw) and cropped a bit of the dark area off the left and bottom....

Have at it!

P.S. I think it may have worked if I wasn't looking off to the right--my biggest nitpik with it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by natatbeach; 02-07-2004 at 04:38 AM. Reason: leftover air to blow
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I agree with your assessment...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    P.S. I think it may have worked if I wasn't looking off to the right--my biggest nitpik with it...
    If your intent was to create an "evil" self-portrait, then I think it works! Otherwise, I think the eye looking way to the right is a negative.

No need to apologize for your self-portraits. I, for one, enjoy them.

Spike

It does look like

Mallificent huh? lol (from Sleeping beauty) thanks for confirming how bad it is--he he
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I agree with your point about the direction of your eye...if it were staring through the lens, the image would be pretty potent. I like the toning and the shadowed area on the left.

I may try this again

sometime...there was(passed away ) a make-up artist named Kevyn Aucoin that did the most breathtaking make-up and I have this fascination with crazy make-up....there was all kinds of contouring and such going on I had great fun...it's easiest to try stuff out on myself than on any my poor friends...if only that eye had been turned...and how do I get just that slight blur...hmmm

Thanks Charles for looking
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

having at it

Pretty sexy actually if you ask me... But only because of that eyebrow.
    -nadamucho

ummm...

thanks I think;) I have a thing for well kept brows what can I say...

Thnaks for taking the time to look...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I really don't know how exactly I feel about this or the fact that no skill went into it except setting self mode on manual and being in the wrong position (having such training was exhausting to achieve-I assure you) but I think it was a happy mistake and I grow fonder and fonder of it the more I look at it. this is one of three out 45(ugh) that "turned out"

Thanks for baring with yet another self portrait and yet another half cut face...and some more scary make-up fun
    love it? hate it? what was I thinking? etc all comments welcome

Post processing-dodged some spots(2) on the nose and cheek (jaw) and cropped a bit of the dark area off the left and bottom....

Have at it!

That is an intense look on your face! That's what I see, intensity. Makes me wonder what you were thinking, what was going on, what caused THAT look.

My first thought about the eyes was the same as yours. Too bad you weren't looking at the camera. After looking at it for a while, I think the eyes being off to the side add to the intense look. Your face is angled in that direction after all. It is logical that you would be looking that way.

Nice shot. Different from the others I've seen you post, but that's not a bad thing. Thanks for sharing it, and definitely keep at it. Keep spreading those creative wings of yours!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Frustration

mostly-lol self pity too (for not having a studio type are and lighting equipment to play with

I was tired of trying stuff out and it wasn't turning out right and I was getting overheated from the scarf on my head (our radiators are BLAZING hot---even with a window in the bathroom open)

we usually all wear summer attire indoors----old houses bite ;o)

see now I've rambled on---your married--- you know NEVER to ask what THAT look was for

tahnsk for taking the time to look and voice your feelings and for tyhe encouragement my creative wings are getting tired....

take care
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Wink

Natabeach, I'm sorry I have to disagree with some of the other posts. This is a great shot (for me at any rate). Yep, it wouldda/coulda/shoulda been a different photo if you'd been lookng at the lens. But you added something else by looking off to the left. For me it adds mystery...I don't know maybe it's a feeling of nochalance(?). Beautiful photo. Great work.
    James

thanks for the encouragement Penny

when are you starting your self portrait series--- I know you can do it....

it's a fabulous way to become all the things you imagine without having to be any of them forever. ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

glad you liked

James --it's great to different opinions and I thanks you kindly for taking the time to respond
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Angry Mistress of all EVIL

LOL! You watching a lot of Sleeping Beauty too huh?

Now as to the pic:
    I like the tones...jealous of the browline...just a little distracted by the eye...but only a little...I do kinda like the idea of wondering what the whole face would look like, but think that adds to the effect!

Keep em coming!
    Every artist was first an amateur. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Like, zoinks! - Shaggy

Thread Information