• 06-15-2014, 05:55 AM
    Lava Lamp
    1 Attachment(s)
    Felt like there was something here
    I felt like there was something here. My family's reaction was "yawn..."

What do you think? How could I improve it?

Nikon V2 with 18.5mm.

Attachment 93027
  • 06-15-2014, 05:25 PM
    hminx
    Re: Felt like there was something here
    A tighter crop might help, moving in on that blue object could create some mystery as to where is the owner. The extra sky and water don't add a lot to the image IMO.
  • 06-16-2014, 05:55 AM
    armando_m
    the time of day was not helping you ... quite harsh light

I have the same lens and use it with the V1, find it very sharp even wide open, the uploaded image looks somewhat blurry
  • 06-17-2014, 08:46 AM
    Lava Lamp
    Thanks for the perspective. It is good to see through someone else's eyes.

The 2:00 pm light was bad, but it's when I was there, it is also representative of what you see floating down that river -- blinding sun, then the darkness of overhanging trees. I didn't notice the blurriness, but I suppose that is accounted for by shooting from a raft going downstream.

Thanks again.
  • 06-17-2014, 08:08 PM
    armando_m
    Slow ? did you had it in P mode ? I find my V1 when used in P mode closes the aperture and uses rather slow speeds

instead I try and keep it near f1.8 - with the 18.5 mm - and use higher shooting speeds
  • 06-17-2014, 08:18 PM
    GB1
    It's sorta missing a subject, but I do like how it seems to dead end right into a river/lake? :D Maybe there was a bridge there once(?) And yeah, the image is quite soft.

I also see something here, but like you, I cannot determine what it is.. maybe that big branch up there is acting as imaginary support for the missing suspension bridge?
  • 06-17-2014, 10:49 PM
    Lava Lamp
    I just opened up the bigger version and it is WAY soft. Unusably soft.

Maybe something went wrong with the compression. I just checked the file and I was wrong about the lens. I used the 10mm f/2.8 @ f/3.2, I had it on manual with auto ISO and it was at ISO 2300 (way too high for that camera) and 1/3200, which was unnecessary.

I was feeling like Winslow Homer there for a moment on the river.
  • 06-21-2014, 03:25 PM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp View Post
    I just opened up the bigger version and it is WAY soft. Unusably soft.

Maybe something went wrong with the compression. I just checked the file and I was wrong about the lens. I used the 10mm f/2.8 @ f/3.2, I had it on manual with auto ISO and it was at ISO 2300 (way too high for that camera) and 1/3200, which was unnecessary.

I was feeling like Winslow Homer there for a moment on the river.

This site does compress images and make them softer, I've confirmed it. But I don't know when it does so... though probably when they reach a certain file size. I also emailed Photo John when he was still here with both an original image and one from the site (which I separately downloaded). He replied that yes, the site does compress, but offered no information as to when.

Especially not good from a photo critique standpoint, eh?