Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The girls and I having some a photo together

Thought I would post this one that I took yesterday after a while getting the stobes up and working again, have been in a bit of a slump personally and emotionally and injured my right eye two weeks ago and have now recovered from it. It turned out to be viral conjuntivitis, and god it hurt like hell for two or three days.

Anyway took this and haven't done any post processing except for wb adjustment in capture one with some shapening, it was a RAW image.

Shot details are, 1 studio flash with softbox on camera right at 45 degrees and large white reflector camera left for fill.

Canon 10D, EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS at f/8 1/125 Centre Weight Average, WB flash mode, subject distance 2.75m, self timer.

The background is a white sheet about 5 feet behind us on a background support, I tried using a small flash to light it, but it kept overpowering at the back, didn't look all that good, even though it was set as 1/32 power, need to keep trialing that out a bit more.

I have basically taken about 60 shots in total with this new setup, but haven't in sometime until yesterday when I took about 50 shots, will post some more, after feedback with this picture. I know there are problems with it, but looking for first impressions mainly.

Re: The girls and I having some a photo together

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Thought I would post this one that I took yesterday after a while getting the stobes up and working again, have been in a bit of a slump personally and emotionally and injured my right eye two weeks ago and have now recovered from it. It turned out to be viral conjuntivitis, and god it hurt like hell for two or three days.

Anyway took this and haven't done any post processing except for wb adjustment in capture one with some shapening, it was a RAW image.

Shot details are, 1 studio flash with softbox on camera right at 45 degrees and large white reflector camera left for fill.

Canon 10D, EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS at f/8 1/125 Centre Weight Average, WB flash mode, subject distance 2.75m, self timer.

The background is a white sheet about 5 feet behind us on a background support, I tried using a small flash to light it, but it kept overpowering at the back, didn't look all that good, even though it was set as 1/32 power, need to keep trialing that out a bit more.

I have basically taken about 60 shots in total with this new setup, but haven't in sometime until yesterday when I took about 50 shots, will post some more, after feedback with this picture. I know there are problems with it, but looking for first impressions mainly.

I thik this is a very good photo - one I would be pleased to take. The only thing I would wonder about is that the lighting on the girl in front is stronger/better than your other daughter and yourself. Not so bad that you aren't that well lit, but I think the kids have to be lit equally.

Peter, this is a lovely shot of the three of you, and you have to take this from someone who doesn't know squat about lighting, but the skin tones look a little on the reddish side to me and maybe a little flat.?? (maybe not the right word)

I love the different looks on the girls faces. Your daughter, (sitting) looks shy and the one standing has a glint of mischief in her eyes. Nice to see you in the portrait. I'm saving this one.
    Lara

Liz

Peter,

I'm impressed with this photo. It is very well done. You work hard at getting the right equipment for the right price - and your photography skills have improved immensely in the last year or two.

I agree with LavaLamp as far as the lighting goes - your daughter standing and yourself could use just a little more light. However, IMHO, it's a nitpick. It's the critique you asked for. However, you can easily use this image the way it is. The 28-135 is a good lens - it doesn't always do great with inside portraits - you've made it work - with great results.

Thanks for posting it - it's good to see your sweet daughters again. ;) And yourself of course.

Liz

Impressive Portrait Peter well done Are the girls twins and how did you get them to stop gigling hehe.

DJM

For the sake of critique. I think the lighting is wonderful. The posing is good. I'm not fond of the clothing choice. A more coordinated outfit selection will make it really POP!!

Good job!

No the girls aren't twins, there is nearly 3 years difference in ages. The like being in front of the camera now, although getting total co-operation is hard.

Thanks for the comments Knight.

Lara, yes I know about the red, but that is a natural look for me (I take it you mean redness on my face), the girls have a slightly fair complexion with some spanish/olive influence in them as well. Remember my wife is filipino (Spanish/Chinese combo), so getting the balance right is a little harder I think too. I was basically looking for the light, being one stobe and a reflector to start with again, instead of two. It is a bit flat and a little cool I think as well, which might be the flat look so to speak. Getting my position right was actually quite hard.

Liz,

Thanks for the comments you are always good to post one. Yes, I like the 28-135 lens, but will post one that I used the 50 f/18 lens during the same time.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any further comments, especially from the older regulars as well.

DJM,

Yeah well, girls will pick what they want to wear, dictacting to them can be quite hard, as they get older, when they were younger it was a lot easier to get them to wear what I wanted, no it is tough. This was more a trial and see effort, just to get some initial feedback. Also looking at what lens is best as well, in limited space that I can use at home. I have tried with two lights, but that is a bit complicated for me at present, heavy learning curve as well. My wife wants some good images of the girls and I am trying to just get lighting to a reasonable acceptable level.

Thanks for commenting.

Liz

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any further comments, especially from the older regulars as well.

Peter,
    To be honest, I don't think everyone frequents the Critique board. I know I seldom come over here because I don't do well at critiquing. It doesn't make it right, but being that I have little time the way it is, I just can't do more. If you recall, we've had some discussions about not enough critiques being done, and we have been encouraged to do more.

Don't feel discouraged. See what happens tomorrow.

You may also want to cross post this on the lighting forum.

Also - it's summer and I've noticed a lot of people posting less. They're probably on vacation or trying to spend more time outside shooting. I'm trying to get there myself.

Liz

Peter, it's not solely your skin tone, I thought the photo was a little reddish on the three of you. Maybe it's my monitor, I dunno. I do recall seeing a pic of your lovely wife.

I guess the tonal range I was expecting on Jorgia and Norel is more like photo #18 on your web site.
    Lara

Thread Information