Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Farming days gone by...

Took my new lens for a drive this morning. Please tell me what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Farming days gone by...-2645-barbed-wire.jpg   Farming days gone by...-2692.jpg   Farming days gone by...-2698-sickle.jpg   Farming days gone by...-2714-wagon.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Farming days gone by...

First off I like the subject

No from the top

I like the depth you have in this photo and the only niggly bit for me is the strip of brown at the base of the tree leading to the edge of the photo. Perhaps if you could have dropped the camera it may have been disguised.

Next photo - the plants in the foreground I find very distracting as they take away from the equipment , Perhaps if you could have taken the photo from the other side it would have been better. I do like the fact that the snow is pristene.

Next Photo - I like the subject of the twigs with the snow resting on top - however I would have prefered the twigs/straw to the left to be sharp.

Last - just crop the grass in the foreground out of the picture and it would have been nicer to have better separation from the background. The cart seems to belnd into the trees perhaps a different camera angle or more DOF.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Again perfect snow because you see so many snow shots not looking right. Great colours again against the snow. Having said that I do agree with readingr's general comments.
    By the way did you get around to purchasing your tripod and head for yor 300D. If I can remember properly we spoke on another forum.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

I'm in agreement with Roger. I like the subject. I like the last shot most of all.
    I can live with the background. I do agree with cropping out the grass in the foregound.
    And I am bugged just a little with the little green marker/sign under the back of the wagon.
    But, I realize if you go to move it, you then have a path in the snow. Oh, well.

Scott

Roger,
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I think the brown strip you are refering to in the first pic is the road. I will reshoot this again sometime from a dif. angle to see if I can get that out of there. I totaly agree with the distracting plants and fence in the second shot. I was going to walk around to the other side since this was right next to a driveway and I wouldn't have had to cross the fence, but there is a NO Trespassing sign on the fence, so I didn't. Maybe I will go back tomorrow if I feel a little braver. In the last image, I burned in the grass in the foreground to help break it up a bit. Cropping it out like you suggest would do the trick too!

Tom,
    Thanks for the comments. I got lucky with the snow, thanks to a little help from a levels adjustment. I haven't pulled the trigger on the tripod yet. That won't be for quite a while. I like doing my research and figuring out what I want so when the time comes to make the purchase, there is not thinking about it, I just do it.

Thanks again everyone!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by ShotsbyScott
    I'm in agreement with Roger. I like the subject. I like the last shot most of all.
    I can live with the background. I do agree with cropping out the grass in the foregound.
    And I am bugged just a little with the little green marker/sign under the back of the wagon.
    But, I realize if you go to move it, you then have a path in the snow. Oh, well.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I hate that sign too, but what can ya do... looks like it might be a memorial marker of some kind and I don't think the owners would apprciate me taking it down... oh well...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Here is another shot of the first image without the road...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Farming days gone by...-2695-sickle.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Here is another shot of the old barbed wire fence, without the blury stick in the FG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Farming days gone by...-2646-fence.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

For the machine I like the tight crop except for the twigs on the left - Aaaargh! Sorry to be a pain but I prefer the first composition of this photo as it places the device in farmland - you can see the fields in the distance.

As for the fence - I love it - sorted
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information