Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Shamilla in the Studio

Hi all, it's been a busy semester and I haven't had much opportunity to post anything lately. I've got a few new ones though, and I'll try and get them up soon. To start things off, however, are two shots I took a couple weeks ago in the studio. The model is Shamilla, who also happens to be another photographer in my class.

Shot under strobes. Film is E-100G. f22 or so.
    Comments and critiques are appreciated!

Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

GB1

Re: Shamilla in the Studio

MadCow - The first is a neat expt but I find it extremely wanting. I do like the spot color there though. The second is much better, but I wish that the background was a different color or shade. I also wish the glass was a bit closer to her nose so that it appeared that she was smelling it before tasting it. I bet you could cut-and-paste it closer in and no one would have noticed the different

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I have to disagree with GB on this. I like the very fact that the glass is the distance it is from her lips as it fills the frame nicely and the silhouetted shapes form a very pleasing aesthetic . The top image is perfect, as far as I'm concerned. The white bg in both compliment the elegant silhouettes nicely. This is good work, McMadCow
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by McMadCow
    Hi all, it's been a busy semester and I haven't had much opportunity to post anything lately. I've got a few new ones though, and I'll try and get them up soon. To start things off, however, are two shots I took a couple weeks ago in the studio. The model is Shamilla, who also happens to be another photographer in my class.

Shot under strobes. Film is E-100G. f22 or so.
    Comments and critiques are appreciated!
    ]
    McMadCow. I am not too sure about the first one. Somehow, I would say that the model is too bright lol... Actually, I like the lighting on the model on the earring side but it seems to me that the picture would me more effective if there were no details at all on her other side. The composition is allright though.

I like the second one straight like it is. Good lighting and the color of the wine is superbly rendered.

Seb

I have no critique - absolutely gorgeous.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

MB1

The earing works for me, the wine doesn't.

For whatever reason I don't care for the expression I get out of the profile of the wine image while the earing head has just enough interesting detail around the edges without any facial elements so I can pretty much imagine any face I want.

Overall I like the idea and the lighting and suspect they would look a lot better printed than on my monitor where the background is too bright.

Liquid Photography

Hey Mad Cow! I absolutley love the wine glass shot! I think the contrast between the blackness of the silhouette and the see through of the glass just works! i would hang that on my wall! great shot!!!:thumbsup:

its the arrogant expression on the models face that makes the second one work.. looking "down her nose" with certain disdain at the pink stuff in the glass.. its "perfect"..

the first one is just an excerise in technique.. clever.. but the end result is lacking any meaning..

trog

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Yes, these were exercises in technique for my lighting class. I really hate to waste film on a purely "technical" exercise (glassware), so I wanted to get a little creative with adding the model. Thanks to everyone for the input.
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

Thread Information