Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Procor Tanker

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Procor Tanker

Comments and suggestions appreciated...
    It seems tilted . Some things line up - building and sidewalk look straight? - but the train looks like its sliding off the print.
    I really like this photo, but I was wondering if this tilt ruins it.
    Oh yeah, crop or no crop?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Procor Tanker-001procoruncropped.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Re: Procor Tanker

Tao, the train seems to be the thing that should be excluded here. All appears interesting, if only the train were not there and I could see past it. Thats my opinion. I keep feeling the train is clogging things up as a black blog, and without it there it looks as if to be a really interesting image. Just my take on it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

hmmm...very interesting idea.
    I've never have seen a train not be there...hence the bridge, but maybe I can catch a lower train cart or something. Interesting idea.
    the train yards are finally starting to bore me but this area still has some potential apparently.
    Thanks Gary!
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by PlantedTao
    Comments and suggestions appreciated...
    It seems tilted . Some things line up - building and sidewalk look straight? - but the train looks like its sliding off the print.
    I really like this photo, but I was wondering if this tilt ruins it.
    Oh yeah, crop or no crop?
    Hello PlantedTao,

The tilt doesn't ruin the shot (ruin is quite a strong word!) but it is certainly distracting. I wish it wasn't there.
    I really enjoy your composition. I guess that it could be interesting without the train but I actually enjoy the train being there as it is well placed and adds extra mystery to the shot (what's behing it??). In other words, I guess that I like the train for the exact reason that brings Gary to say that he would prefer not having it in the picture...

As for the crop, I think that both versions works but I actually prefer the second one. Having the train further in the picture create some extra depth I think.

Seb

Thread Information