Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: My first b/w

My first b/w

c & C appreciated

Re: My first b/w

Nothing wrong with this one. You are out of my league with the lighting but this looks like something like I would see on a billboard. The crop works as long as you keep the slight vignetting. The pose is also very natural looking. Did you add a touch of film grain.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

IMO I think you should leave this one as is- it is stunning! The highlights on your model are fantastic, the pose is great as is her wardrobe I agree with Greg- this has billboard written all over it!

This shot is stunning and I have no idea how to do portrait photography, but I do notice that 'stripe' under her nose - almost a "got milk" thing. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Nothing wrong with this one. You are out of my league with the lighting but this looks like something like I would see on a billboard. The crop works as long as you keep the slight vignetting. The pose is also very natural looking. Did you add a touch of film grain.
    thanks Greg.
    The vignetting effect you see is the effect of a spot background light that fades through the edges. There is no film grain done. I shot RAW and then did some skin cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by rebcastillo77
    IMO I think you should leave this one as is- it is stunning! The highlights on your model are fantastic, the pose is great as is her wardrobe I agree with Greg- this has billboard written all over it!
    thanks reb

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    This shot is stunning and I have no idea how to do portrait photography, but I do notice that 'stripe' under her nose - almost a "got milk" thing. - Terry
    thanks Terry.... the stripe under her nose is just a reflection of the lighting and accentuated by using a high pass filter to give that shiny wet look.

Hey... that's a good idea on "The Got Milk?" thing.... thanks.... I should list that down and do that. lol

Good enough.

What did you use to for b/w conversion? Has a very silvery look, which is nice.

Nik... add high pass filter too

Your portraits are beyond my ability at this point, so it's very hard to really critique anythign on them. I find this shot stunning and very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    Your portraits are beyond my ability at this point, so it's very hard to really critique anythign on them. I find this shot stunning and very well done.
    thanks Ridgetop ... just like you I am still learning from all the suggestions and comments here.

GB1

Definitely a powerful image. The contrast against the pure white background really hits me. I think it works well, but my only complaint is that her skin looks a little too smooth (clean). That's a matter of personal taste. Nice work overall. I think you are on to something w/ your first black and white.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Total Sticky contender, in my opinion.

What amazing tones. Great pose, love the hair.. just stunning over all.

1 thing bothers me a bit though and that's the 'bra' or whatever that is. lol. I'm not an expert in women's wear. When I scroll up on my browser and crop it off, It makes much much stronger of a photo. Maybe it's the shape of it, that doesn't do her justice or it might be that it isn't very 'firm' for a lack of a better term. I see wrinkles right underneeth the breast area on the garment. and a fold by her right armpit (left for us)

other than that. stunning.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information