Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Essentials

GB1

Essentials

C&Cs welcome

Gb

Edit - The website added some additional white space to the right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Essentials-dsc_4339_pp_2_xcontrast_eyeslips_2_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB1

Re: Essentials

I don't at all care for the black frame here, but to better show the placement I added it in this version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Essentials-dsc_4339_pp_2_xcontrast_eyeslips_2_art_frame_700.jpg  

My Site

The sans-frame one is better IMO. If you want a frame, I think a thinner one would work better.

And you need to put something there near the top...like the name of a magazine or something

GB1

Thanks AE. I don't want a frame at all. I just slapped one on there because I didn't like how the forums page messed up my negative space. There's definitely many possibilities for this one's surroundings - text, graduated background, larger, etc. I will think on it ......................

G

Ps - I was shooting for a Fibonacci series 'swirl' negative space.

My Site

so weird seeing just eyes and a mouth.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

When I just open this I see the eyes, and I like it
    the scroll down and see the mouth, and I do not like the partly open position

How about adding a view of the tip of the nose and nostrils ?

GB1

Thanks Amigos. I don't expect my artsy image edits to be universally-liked, and the lack of a nose may bother some. It doesn't bother me personally, as I feel that the most important things that most people look at in a portrait are the eyes and mouth.

Armando, I can post another version with the nose later. I do feel that the eyes alone 'work', and I also feel that the mouth alone works, but do they work together? Hard to say. This one has a lot of possibilities for artsy arrangements. Also, do you really not like the mouth's position? I think it's one of the strongest mouth-lips images I've ever shot, but, again, that's subjective.

My Site

Not feelin' it without some hint of a nose GB. doesn't need to be much, just enough to let us know it's there. Eyes alone work very well.

GB1

Ok guys, here's a version with a hint of the nose. Not sure it has the same emotional impact imho, but maybe it looks more normal. Somehow though, the lips and eyes don't see as full here though. I have so many versions of this one.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Essentials-dsc_4339_pp_2_xcontrast_800.jpg  

My Site

I really like this last edit

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    I really like this last edit
    Glad to hear it looks better to you. I guess not having a nose is somewhat extreme ...

My Site

Thread Information